Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to identify young palm-Butia from canary island date

Posted by elvie z9CA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 17:03

Hi everyone. I bought an unlabeled 15 gallon palm from OSH assuming it was a butia capitata, since I already have one and it sure looks like one.

Now before I plant it, I am just double checking, since I really don't want a monster tree, how to distinguish a 15 gallon butia from a 15 gallon canary island date. I drove to another nearby box store and ofcourse they were out of canary island date palms so I could compare. I haven't figured out how to post a picture, sorry.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to identify young palm-Butia from canary island date

Well, for one thing, the Canary Island Date Palm (Phoenix canariensis) has very distinctive long thorns under the oldest fronds, even young palms. They eventually become long, wicked, eye-seeking thorns :-) The Butia capitata or Jelly/Pindo Palm is greyer in color, and the fronds arch inward towards the trunk. To post a photo in your message, just upload your photos to a photo sharing site, like www.photobucket.com. Once you've uploaded the photos, go back to your main album. Float your mouse over a photo. You'll see a little pop up box appear. Left click your mouse in the "HTML Code" window and the HTML code of the photo will then be copied to your Windows Clipboard. Then, all you need to do is right click in the body of your message, and select "Paste". That will then paste the HTML code right into the body of your message, embedding the photo into your message. When you click on "Preview Message", you'll know you did it correctly if your photo shows up :-)

Patty S.

o

I just put it on my flicker account and take the url link of the photo and put in the links section at the end. Some people post really huge photos in the thread and it can really slow down the thread and it can be annoying. I don't mind if the photos is the right size, but those photos in the threads show up way over sized. People need to reduce it first with software ie photoshop or a free program or what have you. Some forums allow a direct posting like the photography forum or name that plant, but you have to reduce the photo to make it small. Or you can go to one of the image galleries are post there and then post a link from this forum so people can go over there to see the photo.

o

Photobucket will compress the image, tropical thought. And, it sure is a LOT easier to see the photo in the message than to bother going to a separate link. I often skip the thread if I have to go elsewhere to look at photos :-)

Patty S.

o

• Posted by ccdry z9,WarmSfArea_s14-15 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 7:46

flickr uses different letters for sizes. (These aren't mine):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7191/6988079155_d41408b091_z.jpg 640px
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7191/6988079155_d41408b091_b.jpg 1024px
info:
http://www.flickr.com/services/api/misc.urls.html
if you don't care about keeping it available for long, do web search for
"image host" free
many don't require registering, though they disappear or they'll delete the file after a month or so.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 0:57

As already mentioned, the Phoenix will have wicked thorns at the base of each frond, and they will be greener than any Butia frond.

o

Thanks guys, no wicked thorns.

Sooner, or later I'll get around to opening a flicker or photobucket account...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here