Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A good mail order nursery

Posted by evilscott USDA10, Sunset24 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 17:06

I hope this is not inappropriate, but I just have to say I ordered some plants from a SoCal mail order nursery and I was very happy with the service and the plants.
They specialize in rare flowering plants. Prices are great.
Anyway, it's Kartuz Greenhouses.
I have no relationship with them other than I stumbled upon them doing a Google search.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A good mail order nursery

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 17:11

what'ya get? what'ya get? we love to see new plants! :^)

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 18:09

I haven't been to Kartuz in a long time, but yes, I liked them a lot. I don't know if the older gentleman is still living, I hope so, but when I was there years ago, I admired some crocosmia 'Lucifer' that he had growing and he bent down and scooped out a handful of the corms to give to me. They do have some really cool plants.

o

Left to right:
Abutilon x hybridum 'Cristina'
Pentalinon luteum (yellow mandevilla)
Clerodendrum thomsoniae 'Variegatum'

They were only about $9 apiece

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 19:19

Cool! They look great.

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 22:05

Got my order delivered last week. I really like their selection of less common plants. The pot size is small but the plants are healthy and well rooted - ready to pot up to the next size.

o

I am surprised no one mentioned Annie's Annuals & Perennials as a good mail order nursery. We are close enough to visit the nursery, but would order by mail otherwise. My garden is full of rare plants from Annies. Al

o

Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 13:05

I would mention that some nurseries also carry some of Annie's plants in the Spring. Roger's Gardens in Corona del Mar and Anderson's Poway and San Diego that I know of. No shipping charges this way. I've gotten plants from her both ways. High Country Gardens is a good source also. I particularly like that their catalog and website specify which plants are deer and rabbit resistant.

o

I'm another fan of the misnamed Annie's Annuals. They do a good job of packing too. I bought some plants from Las Pilitas and was very dissapointed by their packing. I will only buy from their nursery in the future.

o

Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 19:15

I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the SoCal Las Pilitas. I found their plants to be high priced for the size, friends paid $40 for a 5 gal romneya which turned out to have no roots at all (and he's a very experienced grower) and the last time I was there I found the young man working to be rather rude. I think that was because he was more interested in helping the couple who were going to give him a landscaping job.....I might add that I have never given a 'thumbs down' to any nursery but this one....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here