Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evilscott

A good mail order nursery

evilscott
11 years ago

I hope this is not inappropriate, but I just have to say I ordered some plants from a SoCal mail order nursery and I was very happy with the service and the plants.
They specialize in rare flowering plants. Prices are great.
Anyway, it's Kartuz Greenhouses.
I have no relationship with them other than I stumbled upon them doing a Google search.

Comments (11)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

what'ya get? what'ya get? we love to see new plants! :^)

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

I haven't been to Kartuz in a long time, but yes, I liked them a lot. I don't know if the older gentleman is still living, I hope so, but when I was there years ago, I admired some crocosmia 'Lucifer' that he had growing and he bent down and scooped out a handful of the corms to give to me. They do have some really cool plants.

• evilscott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Left to right:
    Abutilon x hybridum 'Cristina'
    Pentalinon luteum (yellow mandevilla)
    Clerodendrum thomsoniae 'Variegatum'

They were only about $9 apiece

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Cool! They look great.

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    11 years ago

Got my order delivered last week. I really like their selection of less common plants. The pot size is small but the plants are healthy and well rooted - ready to pot up to the next size.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

I would mention that some nurseries also carry some of Annie's plants in the Spring. Roger's Gardens in Corona del Mar and Anderson's Poway and San Diego that I know of. No shipping charges this way. I've gotten plants from her both ways. High Country Gardens is a good source also. I particularly like that their catalog and website specify which plants are deer and rabbit resistant.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

I'm another fan of the misnamed Annie's Annuals. They do a good job of packing too. I bought some plants from Las Pilitas and was very dissapointed by their packing. I will only buy from their nursery in the future.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the SoCal Las Pilitas. I found their plants to be high priced for the size, friends paid $40 for a 5 gal romneya which turned out to have no roots at all (and he's a very experienced grower) and the last time I was there I found the young man working to be rather rude. I think that was because he was more interested in helping the couple who were going to give him a landscaping job.....I might add that I have never given a 'thumbs down' to any nursery but this one....

• nocho895
    5 years ago

I ordered a Abutilon x hybridum White in November and it looked exactly like the photo posted above. This is it now (early July) so it’s grown quite a bit in about 8 months— especially since most of the time was a Northeast winter. No flowers yet but a number of buds. I definitely recommend Kartuz as well.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

Abutilon is a favorite of mine...so nice!