Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a reason to not get star jasmin?

Posted by pioman z10SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 17:39

I saw a bunch of Star Jasmine and yellow Jasmine at Costco the other day for $15. I read the fact sheet and they smell nice until summer and only need part sun, which I have. I wanted to cover up a wood fence(6X30) with a few of these if they don't stick out too much. Is there any reason not to get this vine or are there other alternatives?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a reason to not get star jasmin?

Not that I know of! I have Star Jasmine growing along 40 feet of fence (topped with lattice) between my house and the neighbor's. When the wind blows in the Spring and Summer, the smell is wonderful! I am not sure if the yellow jasmine has the same fragrance.

To help it cover your fence, you can mount aluminum wires parallel to the ground at 12-18" intervals and it will climb the fence and wrap around the wires (with a little help from you). You can keep "weaving" the branches/runners to each other to help keep it from sticking out.

o

Star Jasmine is great for fences and it smells great almost year round.

I'm not sure what the yellow jasmine was... (there's no real yellow jasmine...) Was it that caroline jessimine? Or something like that? I am not a fan of that one... doesn't do much.

I also recommend the typical orange honeysuckle which will cover up an entire house if allowed and attracts hummingbirds.

If fragrance is a priority for you or you like the smell of jasmines-- right now "Pink flowered jasmine" (which is a great vine but also not a real jasmine) which has pink buds and white flowers is in bloom. It only blooms for about two to three months of the year with one big flush. then its great the rest of the year. However the fragrance is so absolutely fabulous that I think its worth it without hesitation. Home depot and others have it now that its in bloom. It grows quickly so feel free to get the 1 gallon pot sizes- you don't need to splurge on a larger size (same with star jasmine: either way this plant doesn't like root disturbance so there is a slight 'stall out' in growth when you plant it but DO NOT worry-- it WILL take off and take off quickly once summer hits. This is a great time to plant either one.) The pink flowered likes full sun but will do great in part sun too (mine are all in part sun.)

And if you wait until summer the nurseries will have madagascar jasmine-- does great in full shade or bright indirect light and blooms throughout the summer. Fabulous blooming plant for the shady areas that are usually hard to find something to vine up into! Its an open vine and doesn't 'cover' too well but you just plant the plants closer together at the base :) Part sun is usually a little too much sun for this plant. Once established all of these do well with not too much water... but they really have to be established mature plants.

o

• Posted by becr zone 9 CA 19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 21:34

The only drawback is that star jasmine oozes yucky sticky white sap when cut---very messy to clean off of your clothes etc. If you won't be pruning this vine much to keep it tidy, I say go for it. I have two that I prune twice a year to keep bushy in pots, and that is all I am willing to handle. I had several on trellises at my old house, and they were a pain to prune and keep tidy because of the sap. Don't get me wrong I love this plant---just want you to be aware of the very sticky sap issue.

Becky

o

I have 4 different jasmines in my yard, and 3 of them grew very quickly in part to full sun - Trachelospermum jasminoides (star jasmine), Jasminum angulare (South African jasmine with large white flowers), and J. polyanthum (the beautiful pink jasmine mentioned).

The 4th I have is J. asiaticum 'Winter Beauty', which is supposed to have yellowish flowers. It's never bloomed for me, but it's the only one that's in a much more shady area. The variegated foliage is pretty, but it's grown rather slowly.

I've never had to prune any of these, and they've been quite well-behaved, while growing like gangbusters (the first 3, anyway).

Brenda

o

A few years ago I was all ready to plant pink jasmine when I read a note on one of these forums saying that it's beautiful when in bloom, but then it turns into an unattractive beige color for the rest of the year. Yuk. I see it here and there now while it is in bloom and it's beautiful though.

I agree with Becky about the sap of the white jasmine.

But the scent is heavenly!

Jen

o
RE: Is there a reason to not get star jasmine

Great, I'll pick some up then. I'll get chicken wire and have the jasmine train on that.

About the Madagascar jasmine, Can that be trained on a stucco pillar at the entry way? Or will it stick out too much and block passerbys? I only have a single door instead of double doors.

o

It shouldn't stick out-- it is a native species to madagascar where it grows up trunks of trees and in pretty deep shade.

It climbs by twisting the vine around things and its a thick pencil sized (eventually) vine. So it needs to 'twine'. It doesn't have any pea tendrils to grab with. As long as it can actually twine around something then it can climb up.

It used to be everywhere and in all the less expensive places around... June. Hot season. When its in bloom. But the past 3 years or so-- suddenly its so hard to find and the price has jumped. I'm not sure why-- if its loss popularity (hard to believe) or just a major producer cut back or stopped producing. This is the plant which produces the large white 'jasmine' flowers that are commonly in wedding bouquets and for the men to wear. Really really nice.

You know-- if you help the plant get established it could look super nice on that pillar. Might actually work. Look for it when its in bloom or ask around at a big nursery so you can see the leaves and how they are spaced and such and see if its to your liking. I think its a HUGELY underused plant-- I treasure all of mine which grow up the north side of the house where not much is happy enough to bloom. Again-- they are only in bloom for a few months in summer (the bigger the plant is, the longer its bloom cycle lasts imo) but so worth it for me.

[I always prune off my dead white (which have turned beige by then) flowers and get a second flush and then prune those off-- the plant seems bushier and happy. Even the years I've forgotten to do this or I can't reach em-- they do fall off pretty quickly. I still think its totally worth it for the scent. Most people can't walk by one in a nursery without buying a pot once they figure out where the smell is coming from. :) ]

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 12, 06 at 10:06

Jen, I think whoever posted about the pink jasmine meant that the blooms turn a beige color as they're dying and right before they fall off. My pink is a nice lush evergreen and a great foil for other, later-blooming plants. :)

I sure wish the Madagascar jasmine was suitable for my climate zone! Very pretty!

Brenda

o

This house had a climbing rose and star jasmine next to each other on a wall two stories high of brick. The two were compleely intrined and had not been pruned for years. The area only got morning sun and the rose was not a repeat bloomer, so we decided to eliminate the rose and its rotting wood trellis. The star jasmine had to pruned back so far that only the old brown stumps 40 years old remained. It took a while but it did come back. I fastened wires to the bricks holding them off about two inches. It took about 5 years for the jasmine to cover the wall and now we just prune to keep it off the roof. Al

o

Brenda, you're probably right. My impression from that post (gosh, that was at least a couple of years ago) was that this person thought it is a major down side to the plant, so I decided to stay clear of it. Now, I think I will reconsider it again. :-)

Jen

o

One possible downside to star jasmine is that some people are really allergic to it, especially in areas where it is heavily planted by landscapers. And if not cared for, it can build up a heavy layer of dead-looking vines underneath the green layer, and the weight sometimes topples a fence or trellis. It's good as a groundcover, planted to be more bushy than vining.

Don't give up on Carolina Jessamine. It has great fragrance even if its bloom season isn't the longest. And it blooms very early. The double-flowered kinds bloom longer. It is poisonous, something to bear in mind when placing the plant.

o

Attracts bees, which may or may not be a concern.

Me, I love star of jasmin. Planted some outside the bedroom window for the scent in Summer, when the windows are likely to be open.

o

• Posted by acp123 14 (Sunset) (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 13, 06 at 14:11

I've never been terribly excited about star jasmine because it's so common in my area, but I have to say... the star jasmine my neighbors trained up their fence cascades beautifully over ours. What was once a bare 6-foot wood fence is now a beautiful wall of green with the bonus of flowers and a nice scent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here