Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When does Asparagus wake up in Nor Cal

Posted by melikeeatplants 9b (San Jose) (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 17:52

I'm in San Jose, put a bed of asparagus in last spring, grew well, cut the ferns in the winter. It's mid-March now and everything has leafed out or has bud swell. The only thing showing no signs is the asparagus.

Should I take a chill pill or is something wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When does Asparagus wake up in Nor Cal

They started selling it at our Farmer's Market in January. Of course those were not 2nd year plants--asparagus takes years to get up to cropping.
Have you tried digging one up??
Carla in Sac

o

You had local asparagus in January? I know some farmers markets sell stuff from afar.

Maybe I'll dig one up.

o

In coastal So Cal my asparagus started popping up about a week ago.

o

Bumping this to report they FINALLY have starting coming up April 4th. Strange I'm behind a lot of colder zones it seems...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here