Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Cup of Gold Vine: too rampant? pic

hosenemesis
13 years ago

Hi all,

I was considering planting a Solandra Maxima on a eight foot by three foot Craftsman style trellis Mikey is building on the front of our house, where I used to have a banks rose that ate the house. I always thought they were slow-growing, since I have only seen them in one place, where they barely cover the iron fence. Now I read they are rapid growers. I don't want another monster. I want something to hide the ugly galvanized direct vent from my fireplace, and I prefer green, no flowers or green-gold kinds of colors. It's a narrow spot.

{{gwi:350553}}

I am growing Bayberry Candle irises there and like that green-gold-brown color with the house. There's a link to the color of the iris below.

Any other suggestions for something to espalier there would be appreciated. The vent makes it warm there in the winter, since that is our only heat source we keep the fire on quite a bit. It did not bother the rose one bit.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayberry Candle color

Comments (6)

• bahia
    13 years ago

You'll be better off if you skip the Cup of Gold Vine, it would only work for you if you intended it to grow along the roof eave line and over the roof. Better/more controllable vines choices in your color scheme would probably include Star Jasmine, a Sasanqua Camellia, Gelsemium sempervirens, or the gold leaf form of Jasminum polyanthemum.

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Renee, I believe that Cup of Gold vine is a rampant grower (I think, I have read 30 feet!), so you might ran into the same problem like you did with the yellow climbing rose you were growing before in the that spot.

But on the other hand someone in our neighborhood is growing a Cup of Gold vine on the side of their garage, which has roughly the same height like your house. So it seems to be possible that with pruning and training you can keep it in check, but I have no idea how much work that would be.

The iris, which you planted already, has an absolutely lovely yellow color that would go so well with the color of Solandra Maxima.

Hope others, who have more experience with this vine will chime in here. Good luck finding the right plant for the location in front of your house!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

You should look into espaliered plants-everything from Apples cold weather edibles, to Calliandra, a tropical.Or,how about a Mandevilla vine like the red hybrids? Very easy to grow and keep in bounds. You might even grow it in a nice ornamental pot to match the house.Just add light duty trellis.

• bahia
    13 years ago

After looking at the iris you are trying to complement, I would recommend Pandorea pandorana 'Golden Showers' as the perfect accent. Better size wise for the wall you want to cover, and the scale of the flowers and foliage will be in better scale for viewing from. There are also some soft yellow Abutilon hybrids which could work well as a trellis/espalier, but they need more work to keep them looking presentable year round, even if they do have a longer bloom season than the Pandorea.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, all. I love the color of Pandorea pandorana. I'm going to plant everything else and think hard about how much I want to prune there.
    Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Here at the local trader joe's shopping center they grow cup-of-gold as a vertical shrub, with about 6 or 8 main stems trained vertically and kept to about 6'. It makes a surprisingly nice shrub! They simply keep it trimmed. Of course this involves regular trimming...

the second picture here shows it trimmed as a shrub against columns at the shopping center. It can be done...

Here is a link that might be useful: solandra maxima trained as vertical shrub