Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I bought a Spice Zee nectaplum this weekend

Posted by melle_sacto Z9/Sunset 14 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 18:47

And my DH planted it last night. The tree will receive full sun and we added a little compost to the planting hole (otherwise it's in unamended soil). It was bare root and had already broken dormancy.

Can anyone give me advice on proper care? I believe we'll have to treat it for leaf curl every winter/spring but it seems like all the stone fruits have some trouble or another. We LOVE nectarines and this tree is really pretty with its purple leaves and pink flowers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I bought a Spice Zee nectaplum this weekend

The wholesale nursery that supplied the tree has a very nice website with this sort of advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: dave wilson advice

o

Thank you! In my web searches, this particular page never popped up :-)

o

Something new!!! We went to the nursery this afternoon and bought a Spice Zee. It is already in the ground and I can't wait to see how they taste --- probably next year. I LOVE fruit hybrids.

PS There is another called "Peach x Plum Hybrid" that I'm still looking for.

o

The Peach/Plum is called Tri Lite, and Raintree still has some in stock if you want mail order (they also have Spice Zees)
A Spice Zee tree was number one on my list this year, because I had one at the farmer's market last summer, and it was fabulous, much better than pluots! Unfortunately mine STILL is not even swelling buds, much less blooming, despite the fact I bought it in January and most of my peaches are almost done blooming by now. I saw one at the nursery on Sunday that was blooming, although most of the others ones still looked like mine, dead-like but with green branches. I may take it back and exchange it for the blooming one tomorrow, because I am getting worried it's not going to make it.

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: Plum crosses Raintree

o

There are a ton of pruning videos on youtube. I would check there for pruning instructions. I would also look go to www.davewilson.com for care advice. That website is loaded. I would also recommend not letting it set fruit for the first two years. Use this time work on the shape of the tree and fertilizing with root stimulator. It gives the tree time to establish strong roots which in turn give you better fruit. Its a trade off. I will be putting two in next spring. I may have to SOFT order them from Dave Wilson because I want them on St Julian rootstock. Better suited to my heavy soil.

Good luck and enjoy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here