Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
desperately need privacy

Posted by siccxfive ca z23 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 19:49

as you can see from the pic im in need of some privacy hedges. I just planted some sweet broom which im going to pull out and return to home depot after doing a lil research and learning these are very invasive in california. my neighbor has plants on his side in which I dont want to disrupt. I would like to cover up the back fence where the artificial bamboo is (neighbors side) as well. I have another section of fencing which I planted a confederate jasmine vine but is a slow grower. I want something to completely cover up the fencing quickly any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. los angeles california zone 23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: desperately need privacy

I would plant a hedge of clumping bamboo all along the fence. Something like Bambusa oldhamii or Otatea acuminata sap. aztecorum. That's quite an unfortunate view, I doubt a vine on the fence would be enough to the sight of both levels of the building. Good luck.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 17:49

Cheap, reliable, reasonably fast (water for good growth) = Ligustrum japonicum, AKA Privet, available at any big box store, Plant them about 3' apart and at least 30" away from the fence itself. Give it room to get dense and solid: do not plant it right next to the fence.

Now, for INSTANT help until the Ligustrum grow in, you can get opaque fabric to attach to your fence to make the view of the other side go away TODAY (or as soon as the order comes). Google up "privacy fence fabric". It's fairly inexpensive and well worth the money.

o

I agree with Hoovb. I would take one additional approach depending on funds, and purchase a tree to block the view of those living in the second story apartments.

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 19:58

I like Hopseed Bush / dodonea viscosa for fast growth and agree about at least one tree planted closer in, away from the fenceline for additional privacy from that second story overlooking your yard.

o

I lived in a similar situation. First as large of a patio cover as possible to block out the view down with a tall trellis around it with bougainvillea helped a lot since most time spent out doors was on the patio. Maybe a lath house?

That plus the fence fabric screen or those slats that fit in the chain link would be a quick and huge improvement...if you already have a patio cover I would definitely close the sides or at least the side facing that apartment in with plants or perhaps some other material.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here