Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trandd

Inexpensive source for Michelia Alba in OC/LA

trandd
12 years ago

I am looking to buy Michelia Alba plant.

I live in Orange County and would love to find an inexpensive source also in OC to buy.

Thank you very much!

Comments (5)

• onederw
    12 years ago

Inexpensive is, of course, in the eye of the beholder, or rather in the wallet of the beholder. I have absolutely no knowledge of nurseries in Orange County, but I do know that San Gabriel Nursery (nearby for me, but probably a major expedition for you) carries an extensive selection of Michelia Alba, including ones that are quite small,and hence less costly, and plants that are further along. The nursery itself is quite large, and I remember them having Michelias in 5 gallon cans and plants in large tree boxes.

I'm including a link to their website. Before you burn a bunch of gas to go check it out, it might be worth a phone call and a conversation with someone on staff there.

Good luck,
    Kay

PS: If you check out the website, you'll see a place where you can subscribe to their monthly newsletter. Each edition of the newsletter comes with a 10 percent off coupon. Every little bit helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Gabriel Nursery

• santamonicagardener
    12 years ago

You can find small inexpensive m. Alba at 99 Ranch markets.
    I have seen them at the one in Torrance, an you can check your local 99 Ranch. They are usually from Temple City Nursery. other interesting fruit and flowering plants at 99 Ranch , often mangoes, orchids etc

good luck, certainly one of my favorite trees!

• trandd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much for the tips, onederw and santamonicagardener.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    12 years ago

As you are wanting something inexpensive, I would advise to go for the smaller plants in 1 gallon pots that are sometimes sold for around $30 or maybe less in the Asian nurseries. I've seen these 1gal plants as low as $17 once on sale.

Once established Michelia alba can grow really fast. One of my plants in a 7 gallon pot shot up a 5 ft tall side trunk within the last year (and I can only imagine what it would have done if planted in the ground).

Small plants can bloom within the same year too. A 1 gallon plant I purchased last November was replanted in a 3 gallon pot and it has 3 flower buds forming now (althought it isn't really healthy as I grew it indoors under poor light and nearly killed it with too much fertilizer).

• Suprabu Hanani
    4 years ago

I saw Michelia Alba in big pot at Farmer Market every Saturday in Buena Park (Sears parking Lot). You can negotiate the price with the seller. However, there is no guarantee from the seller if it die. If the seller didn't bring it, you can ask her to bring it the next Saturday. My friend owns Michelia Alba & I asked her where to buy it. She didn't remember but she thought she bought it somewhere in Westminster (Little Saigon area).