Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Yellow rain in Orange County today

californian
15 years ago

The water I collected in my rain barrel today is yellow, and some yellow powder seemed to be floating on the surface. I saw the same thing in some rain that collected on the lid of a barrel in my back yard. The only thing I can think of is it must be pollen, either that was washed out of the air by the rain or was already on my roof and the barrel lid.

I remember when I was working in Mississippi next to a pine forest the concrete parking lot would be covered in pollen, so maybe this is the same thing but there aren't any forests around here.

Comments (19)

• ltecato
    15 years ago

Rainwater I collect here in Dana Point always has a yellowish tint. I assumed it was something that washed off the roof or maybe some dirt inside the old bucket I use.

• barbiekemp
    15 years ago

Isn't that acid rain? That's what we here call the smog that becomes rain, right? So gross, but yellow rain is better than no rain, I suppose.

• kristincarol
    15 years ago

That would be pollen, I believe.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

I mentioned your post to a friend who golfs at a country club in Orange county, and he told me that the other day they noticed clouds of yellow stuff blowing out of the trees on the course. He is pretty sure your yellow rain is pollen!

Call me crazy, but we even golfed in that rain yesterday!!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

Those of us who live in the forest are very familiar with the problem. If I leave my car out over night I have to wash the windshield before driving in the morning. Almost all trees are wind pollinated and produce clouds of pollen. Al

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

Acacia's most likely are the culprit.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    15 years ago

Yes of course it's pollen. You can check pollen counts for your zip at weather.com and ollen can travel for miles in the wind.
    Most of LA county is high this week...probably for another month also.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

Although I did see a science fiction movie that had yellow rain. Did you notice your neighbors dissolving?. Or possibly exhibiting zombie behavior?,In such case,I would rule out pollen....

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Did you notice your neighbors dissolving?.

No, but my 401(K) is now a 201(K).

• ccroulet
    15 years ago

Our Aleppo pines are pollinating. Under the right lighting, clouds of yellow pollen can be seen.

• wanda
    15 years ago

Cedars are the culprit around my neighborhood. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to it, but it does leave a mess.

• californian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just before the rain my sinuses were really running. Right after the rain they cleared up by magic. Either it was a coincidence or I just discovered I am allergic to pollen. Anyone with a pollen allergy ever notice it gets better after a rain?

• boondoggle
    15 years ago

My husband and I are both allergic to pollen in general, and pine pollen in particular. When we walk to the park near our house, he returns home with a flare-up of asthma, and I'm itching all over with eczema. This time of year is particularly bad. It pays to pay attention to when you have symptoms, then avoid the problem area if you can.

• Cmillerjunk_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Yellow rain is happening all over the fourth right now. Some say it's radioactive residue from Japan and not to touch it. I know people are testing it here in Arizona from the rain yesterday.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Some say it's radioactive residue from Japan and not to touch it.

[rolls eyes]

Dan

• sffog
    13 years ago

now the panic,lol. its pollen, pollen everywhere. pine pollen, acacia or look around maybe the pine trees have there candles or acacia in bloom, or some other yellow flowing tree, my nose knows, that's why its running like it does every spring. dan staney, my eyes are rolling too

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

"No, but my 401(K) is now a 201(K)."
    Heh heh.

Is yellow rain anything like yellow snow?

Renee

• californian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just came across this article about a yellow rain panic in Japan. Yellow rain was also observed after Chernobyl.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow rain article

• Mikey
    13 years ago

Grinning @ Renee & Hoovb