Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quirkpod

the underground gardens of Baldesare Foristiere in Fresno?

Lavoie Boho
17 years ago

Can anyone in the area tell us about these underground gardens described in the short story titled "The Underground Gardens" by T. Coraghessan Boyle? I just finished reading it in a book of short stories entitled "The Best of 1999, The O. Henry Awards Prize Stories". I would enjoy discussing the story as well as hearing of any first-person accounts of visiting what it says is a garden existing today in Fresno. Robin in NC (doubt I'll ever visit, but want to know)

Comments (8)

• Mentha
    17 years ago

I've never been there or heard of it for that matter, I live not two hours from Fresno. I did find a bunch of pictures of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Underground Gardens

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I've been there several times and it is fascinating. This Italian immigrant eventually made his way to Fresno, CA where he discovered that he'd been duped, and the land he'd purchased was adobe clay -- as hard as a rock. So, he hired out to work in the vineyards. Now, in this part of CA the summer afternoons can get horribly HOT, so folks use to rest in the afternoons. Mr. Forestier decided to dig himself a home in the earth because he thought it would be cooler. So, this man dug himself a home that is about 12' or more below the surface; has rooms that connect with tunnels; and gardens that are huge basins with a hole through the ceiling to let in light. (there are still some vines that were planted by him.) I don't think he ever stopped making his home bigger... even adding a driveway to the garage.

Eventually he started growing grapes and fruit trees on the surface of the ground. When you drive by it just looks like someone's orchard.... but no house. The family is slowing repairing the damages done, and there is now a (? great nephew?) relative that has taken a great interest in the history and is actively repairing the site.

It is well worth seeing... but as I recall it's only open like May thru' Sept.

• calpat
    17 years ago

If this is the same site, my DH & I visited it during a convention in Fresno some 40+ years ago in August. It was horribly hot and the ladies of Fresno took a group of us to this site. It was not only much cooler underground, but the tunneling of this extraordinary home was something beyond amazing. Citrus trees had been planted so that the trunks and tops went thru a hole to the surface, allowing for fresh air with that wonderful scent of citrus. Thank you for reminding me of a most wonderful visit, & the hospitality of the people in Fresno. May just have to plan another visit, only this time during a much cooler time. Pat

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

I also visited years ago and was impressed with the amount of work required to dig and remove that mush soil all by hand. Any soil can be made productive with less work than was spent here. I believe this digging was done to provide a cool living space and the planting of citrus was not a serious attempt to provide fruit which could have been planted in the normal manner. It is a site worth a visit especially on a hot summer day. Al

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you one and all. The photos were fantastic! Once again, gardenweb.com answers anything I can toss out here. Couldnt be happier. Glad I helped get the word out to everyone.

• deannabelle
    15 years ago

My mom, brother and I just took my husband there today. It was my second time, and his first. I went to the gardens a few years ago (four? five?), and we just moved to Fresno a few months ago. So, I have had Forestiere's garden in my mind... Not being used to the heat and all. However today, it would impossible to build the way he did with city permits, red tape, etc.

Anyway, it's very humle and yet very beautiful. It shows a LOT of hardwork, pride and craftsmanship. It's nice and cool underground with little nooks, crannies, peep holes and suprises. I love the grape vines draping the ceiling skylights.

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

I live in Fresno and pass by it often. It is on Shaw Avenue, not a mile east of Highway 99. Like Westelle said, it doesn't look like much from the street. Unfortunately, i've never been there. Shame on me, being so close.

• steveberry
    15 years ago

Yeah, its awesome. Went with my brother and his family this summer-- surreal and beautiful. The man truly knew how to frame views. These long curving tunnels leading to sunlit groves are fascinating. Well worth the 10$ entrance fee. Staggering to think it was done almost entirely by one man.