Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Collards-looking for help

Posted by pjames 8/LA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 21:20

I have been trying to find some place to get some tree collard plants, or at least a handful of cuttings that I can try to sprout.

The only place I have found online is not going to have any until at least August.

I was wondering if anybody out there in california would be willing to make cuttings and send them to me in one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes the post office has.

I'd also like to try some of the Okinawa spinach that john kohler decribes in this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/growingyourgreens

My page has my email if anybody is willing to help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Collards-looking for help

Shoot me an email - I have cuttings.
I'll be posting to a blog shortly everything there is to know about cultivating Tree Collards that comes from 20 years growing them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Collards

o

I (wellspringorganics) am no longer offering the tree collard cuttings. the only know online source I know of is http://www.bountifulgardens.org/products.asp?dept=141
they will be offering them June 2012. monitor their site regularly starting June as they sell out quickly.

happy digging!

o

To all of those looking for cuttings, "Nathan of First Light Food" now has them available. You can contact him at:

Nathan Boone - nathan@firstlightfood.com

o
RE: Tree Collards- found some in SFV

• Posted by sbmw SFV 18/19 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 13:35

I came across some tree collards yesterday in the western San Fernando Valley, at the Green Thumb on Sherman Way. There were about a dozen in 4" pots, quite healthy looking. I bought three of them. I was so pleased to find them! Green Thumb is a great nursery for unusual items - earlier this year I bought a peanut plant start there, which I've never seen in a nursery here and looked interesting. Alas, the bunnies found a gap in my bunny fence the very next day and decimated it.

Now I have to figure out where to plant the tree collards! Will read other threads on the subject but the tag says they will grow to 8-10 feet tall - I wonder if they need support (fence or trellis)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here