Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boysenberries

Posted by Jetlife California (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 21:45

Any idea where I can purchase Boysenberry plants in Southern Ca?
They are my favorite berry, and I would like to buy a few bushes in order to grow them.
The other berry that I love is the Olallieberry, but I doubt that I can find one of those bushes for sale.
Armstrong has Blackberries, and Raspberries, but I couldn't find Boysenberries.
Any leads?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boysenberries

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 8:28

Walter Andersen's in San Diego usually has them, although it may be getting a bit late in the season to find them there.

o

City Farmer's Nursery in San Diego had lots of 1 gallon berry plants not too long ago. They might still have them.

I got 7 Olallieberry plants there 4 years ago they all flourished. We get tons of berries and they are delicious. Two years ago I started another row about 10 plants long from " "babies" . I am about to make another row now.

Maybe you can find someone nearby that will let you dig up and move some plants. It would work fine. I would offer some plants, but between my new row and promises made there won't be any extra.

This post was edited by rustico_2009 on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 12:31

o

Try out Berries Unlimited. I will order from them next year since I was a slacker and did not get my beds done this year :).

Here is a link that might be useful: Berries Unlimited

o

I ordered 4, 1 gallon Boysenberry plants from Berries Unlimited.
They are supposed to send them on Thursday. I'll let you know how they work out.

Olallieberries are delicious. We buy the fruit from a berry stand in Anaheim Hills, and DW makes freezer jam.

o

The four plants arrived as advertized.
Nicely packaged in packing peanuts.
Theplants looked like bunch of dried up twigs.
I planted them, and within a couple of weeks, all four have budded out with foliage.
Hopefully they will fill out this Summer.
I'll re-post another follow-Up next year if I get some berries.

o

• Posted by babyg U10 S20/21 (MtnTop L (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 20:15

I would love to buy an olallieberry vine, but where?
Berries unlimited doesn't have them.

Interestingly they list Kiowah Thorny as going up to zone 10, rather than zone 8. I wonder if it's different?

o

• Posted by babyg U10 S20-23 (MtnTop L (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 19:13

Jetlife: how are your boysenberries doing now? And where are you in Socal?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here