Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crocosmia_mn

What is the largest plant sale in California?

crocosmia_mn
15 years ago

How many plants? How many varieties? Any other interesting facts about the sale? You'd think this info would be on the internet, but it's not!

Comments (14)

• crocosmia_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a list! Thank you! You are so lucky to live in California and I do plan to do a garden tour one day and go to a couple of big plant sales if possible.

The main reason I asked was that I volunteer year-round for a large plant sale here is Minnesota. We were wondering if we were the biggest plant sale in the Midwest and so we ended up looking at some of the really big plant sales in the U.S. on the internet, and then we started wondering how to compare them: total number of individual plants, total sales, total profit, square feet, number of customers, or whatever.

It seemed like surely California must have one of the very biggest plant sales, by any measure, so I thought I'd ask!

So far, I haven't found a sale with more individual plants than we have, but the San Francisco Botanical Garden has more different kinds of plants. Have you been to that one?

Thanks again!

Nancy

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

I think you can not compare Minnesota plant sales to California plant sales. Here in California planting is an all year job. Our variety of climates assures gardening never takes a day off. It is more difficult to get gardeners all fired up in anticipation of the coming spring when much of California never had a winter. Al

• dicot
    15 years ago

I would agree with that, Al. I also think CA gardeners get more excited by larger niche sales - orchids, natives, roses, tropicals, garden art - than all-around plant sale extravaganzas.

• californian
    15 years ago

The Fullerton Arboretum Green Scene plant sale is billed as the largest in the West. I know its hard to find a parking spot.

• susi_so_calif
    15 years ago

Fabulous list, Joe. You left out the Spring (April) and Fall (October) plant sales at U. C. Riverside. Wonderfully well-organized, great plant selection, all the plants are listed on their website so you know what'll be there before you arrive. I already have my list and can hardly wait for April 4th.

• lovegarden
    15 years ago

Don't forget to check these flea markets.

CUPERTINO 1ST Sat Flea Market. De Anza College. 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd. Stevens Creek Blvd, 95014. (408) 864-8946 or 864-8414.

FREMONT 2ND Sat. Ohlone College Super Flea Market. 436000 Mission Blvd.(510) 659-6285.

Hayward 3rd Sat. Chabot College 25555 Hesperian Blvd
    Hayward, CA 94545 (510) 723-6918

You'll find some unsuall and rare plants there.

• lccntryrox
    15 years ago

Wow,

Thanks, Joe and everyone else for all the info. I have lived in Santa Clarita just 6 months now (I moved from NJ), and despite a bad bout of Valley Fever that has sidelined me for awhile, I can't wait to get to some of these shows! I am still learning what can grow outside here, but so far it sure seems like Utopia for a plant lover!!!

Now, if I could only find great NY style pizza put here, I'd be in heaven.........

Lisa

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    15 years ago

Lisa,

Welcome to the valley! Check out the website below. It's a local garden set up by Castaic water agency.

You said 6 months here, so you came in Oct? I assume you haven't experience the heat of Aug-Sept. Some plants that say full sun can't handle that heat they like a little shade. We get the extreme heat and colder than most of LA. In summer when they say valley temps, add 5-10 degrees, in winter subtract 5-10. We also get frost here...at least I do every year.
    There are a gazillion micro climate zones...I get frost but a neighbor 3 doors down doesn't and another friend a mile away doesn't that often.

As for Pizza...my favorite food
    BJ's
    Tomato Joes, used to be a chain Garlic Jims

Here is a link that might be useful: clwa

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

That is a huge list. Just as a note, the Markham arboretum link is no longer valid. Quick Google search provided the following:

http://www.markhamarboretum.org/calendar.html

Next sale is this Saturday 10-2. I think I'll be there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Markham Arboretum

• kimokakes1_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

You should check this one out!

The Los Angeles Cactus and Succulent Society's 11th Annual Drought Tolerant Plant Festival
    "Water Wise Dollar Wise"
    Learn how landscaping with drought tolerant plants can save you money and water.
    � Interior Educational Displays
    � Exterior Demonstration Gardens
    � Raffle � Silent Auction
    � Plant and Pottery Sale
    � Craft sales
    Saturday�s Guest Speakers Include:
    Lili Singer, "California Natives in the Garden" sponsored by the Theodore Payne Foundation(11:15am)
    Mike Buckner, "The Art of Staging Succulents" (2:15pm)
    Chief Mark Stormes from the LAFD, "Vegetation Management in the Los Angeles City Brush Zone" (1:00pm)
    Nels Christianson, "Gardens of Brazil", sponsored by the San Fernando Valley Bromeliad Society (10:00am)

Sunday Kids Day
    � Arts and Crafts
    � Create Father�s Day Gifts
    � Pot -A -Plant
    � Games
    �Educational Gardens

Drought Tolerant Plant Festival

Saturday June 11th 9am to 5pm (Lectures start at 10:00)

Sunday June 12th 9am to 4pm (Kid�s events start at 10:30)

Sepulveda Garden Center 16633 Magnolia Blvd Encino, CA 91436

For Times and More Information 818 220 8005 or www.lacss.com
    Our website http://www.waterwisedollarwise.com

Here is a link that might be useful: The LACSS 11th Annual Drought Tolerant Plant Festival June 11th and 12th 2011

• mindkandy
    11 years ago

gardenguru's list is a good start.

It leaves out the largest plant sale (by volume and variety) of northern California: San Francisco Botanical Garden's sale, which usually takes place on the first Saturday in May.

San Francisco Botanical Garden May Sale
    Open to the public on the first Saturday in May, usually.
    Members only the Friday evening before.
    County Fair Building
    9th Avenue and Lincoln Way
    San Francisco, CA

• Bob Davis
    6 years ago

Mercede community college has a huge plant sale every spring. It can be viewed on their Facebook site.

Sacramento cactus and succulent society sale may be small sq foot wise but has many of the same vendors as the San Francisco shows and a huge selection.

American River College in Sacramento, Ca also has a spring and fall sale. Prior years it was an okay size but with a new head of the department the 2017 spring sale was bigger than usual and it's suppose to only get bigger in the future.

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    6 years ago

The Huntington sale was in late April this year.