Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help. some fruit trees not blooming or leafing

Posted by altadenafoothills z21 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 22:36

It's kind of late in the season to see my apples, cherry and (I'll butcher this) chimomanthus praecox not have any activity except some buds. Is this related to the heat wave in winter? Will they be ok, or is there something I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help. some fruit trees not blooming or leafing

Relax, your trees know what to do. It may have had to do with our hot winter and cold spring. There's nothing you need to do but wait for them to do their thing at just the right time. They will be fine.

Kevin

o

I agree, what choice do you have? I did some apple tree grafts after waiting patiently for the first growth to show on the ends of the tree being grafted. That was a month ago and the buds are still swelling, not opening. March here has been so wet we only had 6 days without rain and most of those were so cloudy and cold it might as well have been raining. Al

o

Thanks guys. Guess I'm just impatient for spring. Think it's going to be kind of tough going for most of my fruit trees--the apricot leafed out but I saw hardly any blooms, and one of our frosts hit the peach tree. Citrus is blooming, though. Don't know about the grapes and berries...

o

As for me I kind of had a mix bag, in terms of what fruit trees bloomed and are starting to leave. I agree that it might have to do with the warm winter and cold/wet spring. For example, my 4-1 apple tree only the Anna graft bloomed 1 month ago, also had my Almond tree bloom, and my berries. But just recently my peach, apricots are startng to bloom and leave, and my Stella cherry tree still looks dormant. But this season has been weird, just be patient and they will bloom in due time. Covina Zone 8b

o

I am in zone 9,i have an apricot tree that blossoms in feb every year. this year it has a few blossoms and a few leaves are beginning to sprout,but only on the lower branches. i guess we just have to be patient this year.anyway it was a relief to hear that i am not alone.by the way my tree has apricots the size of a tennis ball.Believe it or not.

o

Our wine grapes are two weeks behind this year. We have had almost no sun and 60 inches of rain so far. Al

o

60 inches -- good lord! I thought we were floating away last year with 44. Altadena has had about 20+ this year. Two days of dry here, and still no leaves on apples, cherries, and merlot grapes. Lots of bird songs though, so that's nice.

o

I have a minneola tangerine that did not bloom at all this past spring, but did the year before when it was still in a pot. It grew about 3 feet even after going through hurricane Wilma. Do they sometimes skip a season? We have to add alot of organic material as our soil is mostly builders fill dirt.

Also, just for the record, I used superthrive on 2 ft powderpuffs shrubs when planted a year ago and they are now 6 ft tall and putting out their second bloom. I do not use it often because of the cost, but it sure seem to work.

o

My dwart fruit tree has not bloomed or leafed - what do I do. I feed and water it.

o

omolly you need to give more information. What is the tree? Where is the tree being grown, what is your zone? Even your member page gives no indication of your location. Al

o

I am in zone 9. The tree is a dwarf fruit tree with apricot/peaches/nectrines.

o

All my trees are leafing/fruiting normally except 1. I have two Prunus mumes, one white that bore alot of fruit last year and this year it has fruit but they are dropping and staying small - plus the tree is barely leafing out. The pink one next to it is all leafed out, has a few fruits and has in previous years been the troubled one of the two, not blooming nor fruiting nearly as heavily as the white one. I don't know what's going on but I hope they are both going to be OK. I make Japanese "plum wine" from the fruit but this year I'll be lucky if I can make even one jar of it (wah!).

o

omolly I am in zone 9 and my apricot, peach and nectarines are fully leafed and bearing fruit. How old is your tree? Deciduous trees are known to die while dormant and you find out when they don't leaf out. Scratch the bark with your fingernail and see if a green layer, or cambium is green. If not your tree may have died.

greenwich I think your prunus mume is responding to this years erratic temperature and will be ok. Al

o

Thank you calistoga! My tree is 3 yrs old. I will scratch the bark when I get home. I tried cleaning the webs, and when I did that the branches broke off. They were dried up. If it is dead, what could have caused my tree to die?

o

• Posted by babka 9/Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 2, 08 at 13:30

Spider mites?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here