Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Bridal Wreath Spirea Photos of the Day 1

hosenemesis
12 years ago

I may have to post photos of my Bridal Wreath Spireas every day this month. I can't stop looking at them. They glow in the early morning when I go let out the chickens.

I'll be sure to warn you that it's more of the same each time I post photos of them.

Renee

{{gwi:523840}}

{{gwi:523841}}

{{gwi:523843}}

{{gwi:523845}}

{{gwi:512977}}

{{gwi:523847}}

Comments (15)

• peebee1
    12 years ago

Renee, where did you buy them? I used to live in MI as a girl and we had a bush. I would love to get one(I live within 10 miles inland from the coast, LAX).
    Your pictures are beautiful, as always. Thanks for bringing back so many happy memories!

Suzie

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, Suzie- they grow much better where it gets cold in the winter. Here the leaves turn brown sometimes.

I bought most of mine at Sperling Nursery in Calabasas, but you can order them from any full-service nursery. I just added eight more to the four I had. These are the 'flore pleno' double-flowered variety. They are subject to mildew, but mine didn't get any this year.

Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Your garden looks so beautiful. Is that a big old Schinus molle?

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, hoovb, a spectacular tree. There is only one other left in the immediate vicinity- one was taken out deliberately next door and two came down in the winds lately. Mine lost a main branch, bigger round than most trees, last year. It is better balanced now, but not as interesting. An expensive tree to maintain, but I think the shade it casts is the main reason my water bill is only unreasonable rather than ghastly.
    Renee

• bahia
    12 years ago

Renee, I can understand your fascination with those beautiful spireae in bloom, they're always so fresh looking in bloom.I don't know why they seem to have fallen out of fashion these days; so rarely planted in gardens these days. How long does the show last for you? I guess there are some advantages to living in a foggier locale, I don't really worry that much about my water bill.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

beautiful spireas! long ago in new jersey, my sister and i used to make flowering arches in the grass for our dolls to have wedding processions beneath them. a good memory- thanks!

is that a metal sculpture in the second photo from the top? it looks very interesting- can you give us a clearer picture of it?
    min

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The show depends on the weather. If we get a cold snap and the weather stays cool, it lasts over a month, but if it gets hot like today or windy like it will next week the show may be over sooner. We'll all keep track this year, since you will be subjected to endless photos.

Min, that's a plowshare we inherited from our next-door neighbor. The harrow is from friends who moved to Arizona. I'll get a photo of them this week.

It's so lovely that your dolls had wedding processions. Mine were melted in the AquaNet Flame-Thrower Wars I had with the Lindeburgh boys.

Renee

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    12 years ago

I had a bunch of those in my very first garden because they brought back happy childhood memories.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

my sister and i had no boys in our neighborhood so our dolls survived ...unless they were left out in the rain and mud after the flowery processions.

did your wars actually involve flames and spray canisters? how did that work and wasn't that terribly dangerous? yikes!

min

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Min, I never burned any structures down, but Jeff Lindeburgh set fire to his mother's lavender shag carpeting once. The fire department came. Very exciting. (My husband once set Reseda Park Lake on fire. I would have enjoyed that.)

Aquanet hairspray was flammable back then (it may still be, but I haven't played with it for years). You push down the nozzle and light a match. Simple. It was usually the green army men who met their grizzly deaths this way, but so did my brother's GI Joes. Ah, childhood memories. It's nice the spirea brings so much back to life for us.
    Renee

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

renee, i don't know what is funnier- flaming gi joes or a lavender shag carpet with or without fire.
    good laughs to start my day!
    thanks, min

• jenn
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Renee!

• onederw
    12 years ago

They are incredibly lovely, Renee! Aquanet flamethrowers, setting the lake on fire--sounds like you and your spouse were made for one another.
    As for the spiraeas, I remember them as a girl in New York, standing under their arching branches and shaking them to make it "snow" all over me--and catching hell for it shortly thereafter as my mother tried to brush all the "snowflakes" out of my hair, off my clothes, and off our family dog (black, of course) who was with me. The shrubs were bigger than I was, but of course everything we experienced as a kid is remembered "bigger" than it probably was. Do you know how tall your beautiful flore plenos will get eventually?

Kay

• lucius_appleseed
    11 years ago

I am trying to grow a Bridal Veil Spirea in honor of my brother's wedding. I bought some cuttings off of Ebay, really cheap.

I soaked for 48 hours in water in 72 degrees. Then dipped in root hormone stimulator. Kept clear bag over it to create a "hot house" for a couple days. Little buds are showing green, but now the stalks are over run with what seems like mold.

Any advice?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Lucius it would have been better if you had started your own thread in the propagation forum. Spirea is very easy to propagate, but you are keeping it too wet. Take off the plastic bag and let it dry out a bit, preferably with a little air circulation. You should be able to save your cuttings. Al