Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen1262

california poppies and what to plant in the veggie garden?

jen1262
10 years ago

I'm in the Northern CA Bay area and I want to plant california poppies from seed. What do i need to know about where to plant, when, how long they last... or any other tips.

Also, with our warm weather, what are people starting in their veggie beds right now (either seeds or bought seedlings)?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• paleogardener
    10 years ago

California poppies germinate prodigiously & require thinning. They fill in quickly then peter out in the hottest part of summer, sometimes they put out an autumn flush & bloom. Let some go to seed & you won't have to plant them again.
    In my garden so far seed sown tomatoes, cucumbers & sunflowers have germinated along with lots of flowers. Keeping fingers crossed for honeydew & watermelon. If nighttime temps stay where they are or trend higher there is no reason not to sow or plant at will.

This post was edited by paleogardener on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 0:29

• rustico_2009
    10 years ago

I put down plastic mulch and row covers on valentines day and have tomatoes up to my knees, and will pick the first summer squash this week. Pepper transplants just sat there and so did basil , watermelon transplants lost vigor and I pulled them an put in more tomato plants. I potted the rest of the peppers up because I don't want to lose them. They are going to be big when they finally go in.

Leeks at various stages and short day onions and intermediate day onions are going...mint is good to go.

I am going to put in bush beans and italian purple pote beans today. It's a little bit of a gamble, but oh well, It seems worth it. There is one 38 cell flat of lemon cucumbers, marketmore cucumbers and butternut squash each that will go in in about a week. A variety of summer squashes too, in a cold frame in 4" pots.

I can still do cabbage and broccoli and have lots of those to go in. ..not sure if I want to bother with direct seeding root crops ....any thing not transplanted is always so vulnerable to pests and requires lots of defensive strategies since I live in a wild land area.

I have a table garden with lettuces , mustard, kale and arugala...and am going to try to keep those kinds of greens going at least until tomatoes are ready .

One last thing starting is a sweet potato for slips. Probably end up doing more, or buying some ...this will be a first!

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

California poppies will last for years if you allow them to go dormant in the summer (like they do in the wild.) If you're in a cool marine climate, you may have poppies blooming all year long, but inland, they will become scraggly when it heats up in summer. I normally cut them back and allow them to go dormant. Mine are in a native garden with no summer irrigation so I allow the entire area to go dormant. With the late fall rains, the poppies return with new foliage and a second flowering in the fall.