Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterfly15_ca

Anyone growing California Pipevine (Aristolochia californica)?

butterfly15_ca
18 years ago

I was just wondering if anybody has had success with this plant. I have it in my garden to attract the Pipveine Swallowtail butterflies. It grows sooooo slow (this is its second year, and it hasn't really done anything).

Comments (21)

• BettyN
    18 years ago

A friend of mine had in and the hybrid version in her garden just north of Sausalito. Both did quite well.

• ruby
    18 years ago

I have this growing in my garden. I have never noticed any butterfly type activity, but I don't pay too much attention to it. It seems to do well inspite of neglect.

• luvmybattusphilenors
    18 years ago

try aristolochia durior.i`ve had very good luck with that.just water and fertilize it with miracle grow and it will grow!

• macfairman
    18 years ago

I have three A.californica plants. They took two years to really do well and this year I need to check with my neighbor because they are trying to take over their tree. Oops. Anyway, it does take some time to settle in. I was able to raise 20 or so cats on last year's growth. I'm hoping to have at least that many this year.

CJ

• lisakaebee
    18 years ago

Is that the same as Dutchman's Pipe?

I don't know if you're in north or south california, but less than a mile from where I live (in Sebastopol) there's a butterfly preserve (Hallberg Butterfly Carden) that's overrun with this, and the pipevine swallowtails. Not sure if they have a website, but they have an open house with all sorts of displays & info in June (& are open by appt & for tours other times.)

• lisakaebee
    18 years ago

In response to the earlier question about pipevine:
    They have a very nice site, actually, at hallbergbutterflygardens.com.

• napapen
    18 years ago

It took 3 years for my pipevine to get big enough to attract butterflies who laid eggs. I do water and ferlitize them occasionally also. They are a native which grows by the river and streams.

Penny

• sandybeach
    18 years ago

I purchased mine from a CA native sale 3 or so years ago, in a one gallon pot. Put it in the ground and it finally started to do well last year and flowered. It flowered this year as well. I haven't noticed any butterfiles near it at all, and my yard has frequent Swallowtails - but they go after the bronze fennel.
    Sandy

• wanda
    17 years ago

Wow, Christy, those are awesome! And really neat to have the larvae.

I have a small one that's surviving, but not doing much. I bought 2 more this year. I understand the pipevine swallowtail has pretty much disappeared from this part of Santa Clara Valley, so I doubt if having a couple of plants will attract them, but ya gotta start somewhere.

wanda

• youreit
    17 years ago

Gorgeous! I need to add that to my "I Really Want" list! Thanks so much for sharing.

Brenda

• christyfiglover
    17 years ago

So glad you like the pix- next year I'll be sure and post pix of the flowers!
    Take care,
    Christy

• aquilachrysaetos
    17 years ago

I really, really want one.

Does it like dry sandy soil or should I plant it near the hose bibb where it's wet a lot of the time?

• youreit
    17 years ago

I think they like any soil, so long as it's fairly wet.

Can't wait to get some seeds!

Brenda

• todancewithwolves
    16 years ago

I read the first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps, the third year it leaps.

• napapen
    16 years ago

It has taken about 5 years of growing to get the PVS population I have had the last 2 years so you need to patient.

Wanda, I can send afew eggs your way to feed on the 3 vines you have, they are pigs so may 10-12 is all that can be handled. A nature center in San Diego has gotten eggs from me for 2 years now trying to reestablish a population.

Penny

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

The first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap :-)

• Antimidation
    9 years ago

You can find a healthy population of California pipevine along the famous bike and hiking trail along the American River near Sacramento, CA. There are tons of plants and also tons of Swallowtail butterflies. The best way to understand how they grow is to go see where they grow naturally. I've hiked this area quite a few times and the Pipevine loves it mainly in dappled sunlight under the tree canopy and it creeps along shrubs and up the base of trees. At certain points on the trail that parallels the river it is the only plant you can see. In certain areas it is completely in sunlight but the base of the plant loves shade. Moisture didn't seem to be an issue as it was very dry and in the early parts of our dry summer.

They love riparian environments where the trees that take advantage of medium water tables from nearby river provide shade and sporadic sun.

• Christy Gorman
    7 years ago

Loved your pic, Christy! I used to see these butterflies growing up in Sonoma County. I'm in Virginia now, & it looks from the range map like they will live here too, so I'm going to try getting some plants and eggs! Any East Coasters have luck with this?

• PRO
    East Bay Wilds
    6 years ago

they grow a lot faster if you mix some compost into the soil where you plant them and water them regularly until they grow big. then you can stop if you want to. it takes from 3-5 years for the pipevine swallowtail to find it - usually. patience is definitely worth it! cool plant!

• Josue (Zone 9b, Central, inland California)
    6 years ago

I agree with the growth patterns mentioned here. The first two years my small, 3-inch plant did nothing except grow a few leaves. This year, it's growing as fast as morning glories do and climbing up anything it can reach.