Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for plant that is drought tolerant, erosion, shade....

Posted by tskn 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 23:58

I'm looking for plant that is drought tolerant, deep rooting, shade tolerant, offers erosion control and provides screening. Any suggestions?

I'm in S. California.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for plant that is drought tolerant, erosion, shade...

A tall order, to be sure. You may have to choose which of those qualities is most essential. Ligustrum japonicum (privet) is in the running, to be sure. If erosion control is your top priority, however, there may be other choices you would prefer.

Kay

This post was edited by onederw on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 7:58

o

Junipers grow very large and do fine in shade. We have a jungle of them under a grove of pines.

The previous owner had a thing for them, and I much prefer anything BUT them!

They do have the qualities you seek.

Suzi

o

• Posted by tskn none (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 17:04

I should have been more specific. I'm doing a border between me and my neighbor which is on a 3-4ft slope, so the screen I would need should be 6-8ft, as I also wanna keep some light. This may be unusual, but I was thinking that once a strong root system was in place, I could add more soil to flatten out the slope. I was thinking possibly upright rosemary, Phormium Tenax, or ceanothus.

o

Ceanothus was my first thought, but they do need some sun to grow.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 18:47

Keep in mind roots grow at a depth "right" for them--if you add more soil on top (is that what you meant about adding more soil?) the roots will all of a sudden be getting less oxygen and might die as a result. (Roots need oxygen as much as they need water).

You are better off terracing the slope by making short walls of concrete blocks or pieces of recycled concrete or stones rather than counting on root systems to flatten your slope for you. Do it right the first time and be done with it.

Ligustrum will be your most reliable and quickest choice, if a quick screen is your priority. I planted a new screen from one gallons late last summer and they're nearing 5' tall already and filling in quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here