Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Spring flower pics

hosenemesis
11 years ago

Hi all,

I took some pictures today. I know most of you have seen this garden before- but I followed hoovb's advice and added some lavendar and I really like it. Thanks to all of you who have given me advice here.

Renee

{{gwi:524954}}

{{gwi:524956}}

{{gwi:524958}}

{{gwi:524962}}

{{gwi:524965}}

{{gwi:524968}}

{{gwi:524971}}

Comments (24)

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Oh my! As always, absolutely gorgeous! You really have a way of putting everything together.

And speaking of putting everything together...I've been going through old posts and just love your patio. I would love a little more detail of how you did it.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

Very lush, done with a good eye!......

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Spectacular Renee! I love the different colors and textures of the foliage, very intriguing to the eye. Rena'

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    11 years ago

oh wow! never too many photos of your beautiful garden! even the cracks in your paths are growing something perfectly low and green! min

• roseberri, z6
    11 years ago

your garden is just lovely! I also love your broken stone path meandering through it! Did you plan all this right the first time or did you have to do trading around to get it so perfect?I ask because I have been doing alot of moving this year, seeing things that would look better elsewhere, and things that just dont thrive where I put them!
    roseberri

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Your garden is absolutely stunning! The textures, shapes, structures...everything is perfect. I also wonder if you got this right the first time. Seems I put things in and end up moving this or that because I just don't get that look that you have! Of course, I do have lots of weeds meandering throughout the garden...if it is growing exceptionally well, I always know I should pull it out because it is bound to be a weed! :(

Thanks for the inspiration. I took the day off today and your post went perfectly with my tea. Now, out to weed!

• jenn
    11 years ago

Beautiful as usual, Renee! I think if I ever visited I'd never want to leave.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Renee, I will never get tired of seeing photos of your garden, it is so well designed. You really have an eye for form. I was thinking of you yesterday while at Walter Andersen Nursery :-) I picked up two lovely little irises, 'Orchid Eyees' and 'Bubble Gum'. Going in my back bed next to my Scabiosa 'Fama Dark Blue'. And, also thinking of you whilst I was wrestling my 3/4" heavy duty hose back into the hose pot, lol!

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Did you get it right the first time." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No.

It's still not right. And as soon as something looks just right, it dies. And it looks good for two months if we don't have a heat wave.

Some of the irises have been moved a dozen times. All of the daylilies have been moved. Most of the roses have been moved, some more than once. The big green myrtle egg has never been moved, though, and I am proud of that. That's why it's an egg instead of its natural shape- I planted it in a spot that's too small, as usual.

Thank you all for the kind words. It makes the work go easier, knowing I'm not the only one who will see the result.

Patty, I hate your hose too.

Sandi, the rubble patio is laid on sand, and it covers old shed slabs, septic tanks made of sunken 55 gallon drums, and who knows what kinds of toxic waste from years of Bultaco repair before I moved in.

It's very easy to do- Mikey and I just took all of our left-over mortar and concrete from other projects and threw it into square(ish) wood forms or cottage cheese containers and stuck things in the top. We used broken flagstone, bricks, concrete block, railroad spikes, old tiles- anything we could find or get from friends. One summer I sat there in the evening and leveled one little "cell" at a time with a rubber mallet, brushed sand over the top, then we mortared the edges in place. We had to buy some sand and about $200 bucks worth of bricks, which seemed pretty expensive at the time. It has held up well. If you mix regular dirt with the sand to fill the gaps it stays in place better.

Renee

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Thank you Renee. It's an idea I am going to try for sure.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    11 years ago

ha renee! i bet you would be surprised at the number of us gardenweb friends who think of you when we are wrestling our &*#$% hoses or when the hose mows down some of our garden flowers- usually the prettiest ones in full bloom.

i bought one of the very skinny little colored hoses from a catalog to use for my front deck plants and i like it a lot. menwhile, hooked up by his garage, my dh has a very manly monster hose that i can barely haul around. you would just love to have one like that. min

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Would you mind identifying the yellow rose. And the little daisy that is scattered throughout. The pink iris in picture #4. Your garden is a testament how repetition, use of plants at various heights, and sparing use of hot colors help connect and blend the garden.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Min, I have three of the skinny hoses (in the moss color) and I am slightly less annoyed by them. Mikey has a monster hose too- it must be kept out of my sight, since it is that awful aqua color that hose manufacturers mistake for green.

Mantis, thank you for the compliment. It started out an eye-searing mix of scarlet, coral, and gold, but Gardenwebbers came to the rescue and helped me mellow the color scheme while sticking to the hot colors I like.

The butter yellow rose in the first pic is the floribunda Julia Child- a wonderful rose with old-fashioned looking blooms. The bright yellow rose in the second photo is a hybrid tea called Henry Fonda- another fantastic rose, with very long stemmed flowers. Both can take our heat. The little daisy is an annual chrysanthemum- Paludosum Daisy. They grow well from seed- buy one six-pack and you will have them for life. The orchid-pink iris is Persian Berry, and it's a great performer here, blooming nice and early before the heat really hits and increasing well. As you can see, just about every plant gets a bloom stalk every year. The peachy iris is Peach Royale.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Now Renee,
    You have to know there is no way any of uys are going to miss looking at your lovely garden. Achingly beautiful as always!
    kay

11 years ago

Renee, in your third photo, what is the very dark purple flower at the foot of the lighter purple irises? Such a pretty dark purple!

Patty S.

• dicot
    11 years ago

Beautiful. It really shows that you took the time to do all the prep work throughout the winter to put your garden in the position to flourish now.

11 years ago

Renee, so tell me, what is the purple flower in the foreground of the 3rd photo? The very dark, dark purple one. Is it a pansy?? Can't quite tell. And, again, the little white flower scattered about??

Patty S.

• pippi21
    11 years ago

I've just found the pictures of your beautiful gardens. Oh my, that is certainly eye candy for the soul! Which variety of shasta daisies do you have planted in a mass? How did you design your pathways, with the broken concrete or slate?

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Patty, yes, it is a viola. I can't grow pansies- they up and die on me. The little white flower is paludosum daisy, an annual.

The pathways were not designed, pippi. I had extra Arizona flagstone from my kitchen floor project, and I had mud around my four raised vegetable beds, so I threw the flagstones down between the beds. Ten years later, the veggies are gone and the flagstones are still tripping me. I'm re-leveling a section this week because it has gotten so deadly.
    Renee

11 years ago

Very pretty. I've written down the name of this annual daisy, I think it is so cute, and a great filler and backdrop for your irises and roses. Speaking of irises, here are a few pics of mine which are blooming. I have to go in and divide them up, they're just spilling out over the edge of the bed:

{{gwi:524973}}
    {{gwi:524975}}

Have no idea what iris this is, but it sure is pretty. My variegated ones are getting ready to bloom, too. Going to plant more of those.

Patty S.

• Kristi1931
    11 years ago

very pretty, great job!

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

Spectacular Renee! Beautiful and peaceful looking garden oasis that I would happily lose myself in.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

Here a few pics of my spring flowers

dwarf iris's
    {{gwi:524976}}

freesias
    {{gwi:524978}}

ceanothus joyce coulter
    {{gwi:524980}}

lilac blue skies
    {{gwi:524982}}

ceanothus carmel creeper
    {{gwi:524984}}

ceanothus tessajara blue and yankee point
    {{gwi:524985}}

white rock roses
    {{gwi:524986}}

yesterday,today,tomorrow
    {{gwi:524987}}

penstemon margarita BOP
    {{gwi:524989}}

dwarf bottlebrush little john...tons of buds
    {{gwi:524990}}

• aimeekitty
    11 years ago

lovely! thanks so much for sharing pics of your gorgeous garden again! :)