Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieeyler

Hard Pruning Lantana

katieeyler
10 years ago

Good evening!
As you can see, I really did a number on this lantana bush in my front yard. My haphazard approach to pruning has me a little worried... Will it ever grow back?
It WAS a red and yellow lantana camara... According to my neighbor it's now nature's 'modern art piece'.
I started pruning it last week because the majority of the inner branches were dead and it was looking really raggedy and had, like, two flowers within the past 7 months. As I cut it further and further down I decided to just leave the thicker stems in the hopes that it would still be a large bush when it did grow back. I figured that if lantana's can survive hard pruning down to 6-12", this would be way better for the bush!
Tell me, was I wrong?

Comments (11)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

When i lived on the coast and the frost did not kill it back, I pruned mine back even more than you have. Don't worry, it will come back better than ever. Al

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I'm placing all my bets on the lantana. I would have thinned the remaining branches out even more [although it does have an interesting sculptural look now-- :) ]. As it grows back, you should pinch the growing tips periodically so that they will branch and become dense enough to cover the bare stems quicker. Lantanas are vigorous plants--think of their root system as a locomotive power source that is currently pushing the foliage equivalent of a peanut. IMO, you have to try a lot harder if you want to kill it.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    10 years ago

I think it will be fine also. I've only grown the purple and yellow ground cover type. I hacked mine back also each year and it came back more vigorous. But just took it all out. Got tired of the frost damage and dead look all winter from Dec until now.

• katieeyler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the boost of confidence, everyone. As my screen name implies, I love these plants!
    It's confusing when you hear to only remove 1/3 of the plant at a time, yet they can be hard pruned down to almost nothing... Is that because most hard pruned lantana's are already full of dead leaves and branches by the time they're hacked to the ground and 1/3 isn't really removed in the final stage? I feel like I removed a majority of this plant.

• katieeyler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE: The lantana has come back full force!
    For about a week I had an obscure stick statue in the yard. Next thing you know, it started sprouting new growth everywhere. This is what has happened in the last 4 weeks. New flowers have even begun to show their buds.
    I decided to update this I case someone else ever hacked their lantana and needs some reassurance.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Well, there you go. I think I won $.04 for my winning bet. Thanks for the follow-up. And your neighbor has learned something about growing lantanas, too. :-)

• doginthegarden
    9 years ago

Glad to see this as we have several large lantanas with an inner framework of dead wood which looks terrible after trimming. I've wondered how far I can cut them back. I recently had the same experience with a huge bushy rose that hadn't been attended to in 20? years. Full of dead wood, size of a minivan. Cut it back to a similar stick statue, and now three months later it's thriving and green.

• aquilachrysaetos
    9 years ago

Glad to see that! I have to prune a lantana hard in preparation to get my house painted. It's one of the first plants I put in when I bought my house 17 years ago and I'd hate to lose it.

• katieeyler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I say 'Go for it!'. I posted this picture 6 days ago and today it has twice as much foliage as it did then, and it's already covered with flowers. As soon as a few of the flowers are spent, I'm gonna pinch the new growth back a bit to get an even bushier plant, per Gyr-Falcon's advice.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Yep! A Lantana is a weed, a pretty weed, but you can't kill it! Prune on!
    Suzi

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012