Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best blueberry variety for northern Cali?

Posted by yowza 7b, way northern Cal (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 2:19

I'm trying to decide on a blueberry variety for my area. It gets cold in the winter (single digits) and hot and dry in the summer (triple digits)! I'm in zone 7b-ish, right near the border with Oregon in the Siskiyou Mountain area. My main criteria are:

*the plant must survive!
*really good flavor (not sour, not mealy like grocery store berries)
*productivity
*berry size (just because teeny ones are a pain to pick)

Are there other factors I should care about? I read about the size and wetness or dryness of the picking scar, but for home production that doesn't concern me much. I've been referring to Oregon State's "Blueberry Cultivars for the Pacific Northwest" document. I've also been reading forums on GardenWeb but I'm confounded by the fact that much of the advice is from folks in very different climates than mine.

I thought Olympia, Blueray, and Berkeley sounded good. Anyone have any experience with these and/or other suggestions? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon State's Blueberry Cultivars for the Pacific Northwest

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best blueberry variety for northern Cali?

I went to a talk by Buzz Bertolero and he suggested many varieties but talked up Berkeley, late but prolific producer, and Spartan, early and prolific. He spoke regarding my area (zone 9) but I notice Berkeley is high chill. I really want to add blueberries but just haven't bought one. He said they are beautiful all year--great autumn color and easily grown, abundant fruit producers.

o

I had a blueberry that scarcely produced which I figured was from low sun and evening chill from cold canyon air. But I was advised I needed two plants for pollinating. Though some varieties are self pollinating I understand. My Italian greyhound ate whatever the bush put out anyway before I could get to it. I don't recall the genus. What doesn't work in my garden goes in somebody else's.

o

The Master Gardeners at Fair Oaks have been growing and tasting blueberries for awhile now and created a PDF of their recommendations (at the very end, asterisks indicate flavor). You do want Southern Highbush if you have hot summers. After hearing them talk to our Calaveras group, I'd planned to try it although at this point I've decided no new plants this year as the drought could still be pretty nasty- I'm going to hold off on new items until next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Sac PDF on Growing Blueberries

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 8:15

I think you would still want to grow the SHB varieties, but check locally with a qualified nurseryman if you can. That's what I grow down here and enjoy them all! My favorite overall is 'Sunshine Blue'. You will want to plant a couple of different varieties for better pollination. Here's 'Emerald' ripening up some berries right now:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here