Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An Entry Garden with a difference

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 3:07

So many California homes are often more driveway than garden when faced with relatively narrow lots, and the garden often is an afterthought. This home had the additional need to fit in a full floor of stairs within a very shallow front yard set back. The design uses a zig-zag alignment for the stairs that uses a playful layout of walls and railings and built-in planters to make the most of the relatively limited planting areas. People seem to either love it or be annoyed by the configuration, what is your opinion? My opinion is that it's visually more pleasing than a single straight run of stairs out to the street.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20217462@N02/sets/72157626488124694/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An Entry Garden with a difference

I love it. The entrance at the corner of the house prevents the house from appearing flat to the street. Making the stairway also in angles with space left for plantings to soften the sharp corners, was inspired. Al

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 9:34

Love it! I also love the house color -- I've been predicting that more people will follow the trend of indoor paint colors and begin painting the outside of their homes in more interesting colors.

o

I love it. It's also easier to climb stairs that turn than a straight run up. (I've had homes with both types of stairs and can attest). It's a little shocking to me that someone wouldn't like it, but go figure. To me it's gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: loribees garden blog

o

I agree too that it's more visually pleasing to have a zigzag staircase than a straight one. In addition, depepnding on whether you believe in it or not, zig zag stairs are favored by Feng Shui :-)

The only time I'd expect people to get annoyed by it is when they actually haul some heavy item like a refrigerator up those zig zag steps.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 13:36

There is also an internal staircase with just one turn inside the garage, and the owners probably use that more so than the front stairs for lugging groceries, moving furniture, etc. If this were the only access to the house, it would be a nightmare at moving time...

Here's another shot of the backyard, which I have previously posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20217462@N02/4464655195/in/set-72157626121794400/

o

Actually, even though it is difficult to carry items etc. I would still prefer a zigzag over straight stairecase. How often do you move heavy stuff up/down? But you see a straight staircase, acting like a disproportionate eyesore *every day* *every time* you look at it, in a house.

But as you mention, this is one of those polarizing things :-)

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 15:13

One of those "Welcome To My Garage Door" houses. You made it better.

Here is a link that might be useful: clickable link

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 15:21

We have a new straight staircase..... gosh I hope people don't see it as a disproportionate eyesore every day. :-((((((( We used to have a Welcome to My Garage Door house, but the staircase leading straight to the front door brought the door (visually) much further forward.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here