Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arbequina olive tree

Posted by rabbithole2020 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 3:08

After an extensive search on the web I am back to the forum...

I obtained what I think is a Arbequina olive tree. Currently it's about 2 feet tall and growing on a single trunk. I planted it near the corner of my house where it gets afternoon sun from the southwest. From what I can tell the tree will get to be about 15-20 feet when mature but I can prune it to whatever size (or so I read). Ultimately I want to keep it the same height as my dwarf citrus when they mature so between 10-12 feet. I'm more worried about the root system. Like my dwarf Dancy Tangerine and Wonderful Pomegranate, I planted the olive tree 2 feet from the house.

I can't find any information on the root system of this tree other than it is shallow and I've read extensive information on growing them in pots, so it seems like it would be okay. Will I run into foundation problems with it being this close to the house? If I'm totally crazy for planting it close to the house, should I dig it up, pot it and bury the pot to act like a root barrier? How long would that last?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arbequina olive tree

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 16:58

Like my dwarf Dancy Tangerine and Wonderful Pomegranate, I planted the olive tree 2 feet from the house.

Trees planted 2' from the house.

I don't intend to be disrespectful or hurtful, so please don't take it that way, but to be honest, I wouldn't plant a rosebush 2' from the house, let alone a tree.

o
RE: Arbequina olive tree

Thank you hoovb,

I don't think your comment was disrespectful or hurtful. It is informative. :)

My parents have 2 dwarf citrus trees planted 2 feet from the house (tangerine and myer lemon) and 2 Podocarpus. Both about 15 years old. They haven't reported problems with them and they seem to trive. I think they also had 2 rosebushes along another side of the house but took them out when they re-lanscaped.

I figure that the root systems would aim outward from the house and being dwarf variety they would be compact and less invasive. The POM is not dwarf and I don't think the Arbequinta is either but both can be trained to grow into shrubs and grow well in containers. I selected varieties that grow well in pots thinking the roots will be compact.

My guess is an Arbequinta will have a similar growth pattern as a Podocarpus? Maybe issues 20-30 years from now?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here