yaslan

Nurseries in Sacramento & Surroundings areas

yaslan
14 years ago

{{gwi:525667}}{{gwi:525668}}{{gwi:80719}}

{{gwi:525669}}{{gwi:525670}}{{gwi:525671}}

{{gwi:525672}}{{gwi:525673}}{{gwi:525674}}

Hello Everyone,

I'll be visiting Sacramento and surrounding areas in August. Does anyone have suggestions on what plant nurseries I should visit. I am mostly interested in tropical fruit trees, brugs and plumerias. Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated and welcomed. Thanks.

I just thought I'd include pics of my plants, which includes my rooted ylang ylang cuttings, orange jasmine seedling, improved meyer lemon, rooted brug cutting, plumeria, amaryllis, gardenia, bonsai kumquat and canistel pie. BTW, canistel pie is delicious!

Happy Gardening!

Bo

Comments (6)

• sautesmom Sacramento
    14 years ago

Are you asking this because you believe Sacramento is tropical? Because it most definitely is not! We get hard frost every winter, killing frost every few years and a dusting of snow every couple of decades. The closest to "tropical fruit trees" we can grow might be Loquats and a couple of varieties of Avocados. Unless you consider Citrus tropical?

Anyway, Sacramento's main nursery is Capital Nursery, with 3 locations in Sacramento, Elk Grove and Fair Oaks, but they are expensive (for example, their Dave Wilson multi-graft fruit trees are $60, compared to other nurseries charging $40, for the exact same tree) They have a nice selection of ornamentals, as well as tons of roses and street trees.

A nice nursery with great selection of all kinds of trees and plants is Green Acres, with 2 locations in Sacramento and Roseville. They also have a beautiful selection of ceramic pots in all sizes and colors including purple and lime green, and extensive supplies for making your own sprinkler systems and fountains (not that you would be lugging big ceramic pots back to Washington LOL)

Farther out, my favorite nursery is Eisleys in Auburn, who have a great selection of fruit trees, seeds and vegetables, as well as tons of garden things like engraved rocks and a huge selection of quality wind chimes, including the taller-than-a-person $600 ones.

Hope this helps!

Carla in Sac

• yaslan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Carla,

Thanks for the heads up. I just figured that cities in Cali were somewhat tropical (at least more than Washington) because it gets more sun. I should've known better cause Southern Oregon gets very hot and dry during the summertime!
    Anyways, thanks for the great info you provided! I would love a nice oro blanco citrus tree. Do you know if any of the above mentioned nurseries carries this citrus variety?

Cheers,

Bo

• sautesmom Sacramento
    14 years ago

I would say all of them would carry Oro Blanco, but you can also buy it at Home Depot here, which carries most of the Four Winds citrus varieties.

Carla in Sac

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Bo, what is canistel pie? It looks delicious.
    Renee

• yaslan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:525675}}{{gwi:525676}}

Hi Renee,

If you love potato pie you'll absolutely love canistel pie! Canistel is a fruit grown in the tropics. It's originally from the 'Americas.....mainly southern Mexico and Central America'. It tastes very much like a sweet potato but creamier, sweeter and thicker. I don't really like it fresh so I thought why not make a pie out of it. And to my great surprise and utter fascination it turned out surprisingly very good.
    To my great disappointment stores don't even sell this fruit. I think it's a great disservice to the entire population. But I am hoping that one day soon grocery stores will come to their census and start carrying canistel! It ships very easy and does not spoil.

Cheers,

Bo

• cinny
    14 years ago

Here is an extensive list of nurseries in and around Sacramento http://www.sacramentogardening.com/nurseries.html

That Canistel looks interesting. I did a quick search and see its also referred to as eggfruit and that it supposedly tastes similar to pumpkin and is good in milk shakes. I wonder if it would grow in Sacramento and if their are any dwarf varieties since it grows to 25'. The leaves of the tree remind me a bit of a loquat tree.