Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freesia in zone 10

Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 10:05

I have some freesia that just finished blooming, & I am letting a few go to seed. Do I need to take the bulbs out & dry them? If so, when should they be planted?
Last year I kept freesia in the pot. They stayed evergreen, although somewhat burned, but did not come back as well this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freesia in zone 10

You can leave your freesia in the ground, no need to dig them up. If they didn't come back as well it might be because they got too crowded in the pot - they multiply fast and you can dig and divide them.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 12:45

Freesias don't need winter chill so they're perfect for our climate, and do well in the ground as long as drainage is good. However, you need to feed them and in pots, feed them very well. Potting soil has little nutrient value and as you water the pot, quickly over time the plant food you add simply washes out. Like all bulbs they really appreciate bone meal or bulb food before, during and just after bloom.

o

• Posted by becr zone 9 CA 19 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 19:34

Good advice here. One thing though, once freesias go dormant (over the summer here in hot inland SCal), you should let them dry out---they need/want no water over the summer months. I gradually resume watering mine in the late winter/spring.

Becky

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Wed, May 3, 06 at 9:09

After looking at these posts & doing some reading, & I may store mine rather than keep it in a pot. It looks like ideally dry corms or pots should be stored at 77-86F, and my temps are much higher. It sounds like some of you have been growing them while storing at higher temps, however.
My summer watering probably prevented re-establishing of my last freesias.
Thanks for all your input. It helped me from making the same mistake again.

o

I plant freesia in hidden spots because they are so floppy and I want them for cut flowers only. Once they start turning brown I cut them to the ground and they return faithfully every year. I leave little markers on the ground so that I don't dig them up accidentally. I stack the potted ones behind the garage and put them out once they start to show signs of growth. I never dig any up. I only plant new ones. My wife thinks I have a corm dependency, but loves the cut flowers she's been getting the past 2 months.

o

My freesia started growing leaves in September. Can they be divided and now and replanted?

Janet

o

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 07 at 21:56

Janet,

If you keep the roots cool and moist while you're moving them around, they'll probably be fine. These are not bulbs known for sulking for a long time after mistreatment, nor are they terribly easy to kill (short of trying to grow them unprotected in a cold climate).

Ryan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here