Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Sunset Gold' Coleonema and FLIES

Posted by melle_sacto Z9/Sunset 14 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 10:09

My DH has been complaining that the 'Sunset Gold' breath of heaven smell gross; we've had them for several years, and this is the first time we have really noticed the issue...but I didn't realize just how accurate his description was until yesterday!

I was out around 5pm trimming a few things w/my 4-year-old. Then he told me he used the scissors to cut a fly! I asked him where he found flies and he showed me that the breath of heaven shrubs were COVERED in flies. Ew, I had always thought that was the buzzing of bees.

SO I guess breath in heaven smells putrid ;-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Sunset Gold' Coleonema and FLIES

Mine does too. Thank goodness the bloom period is short.
Renee

o

I was actually thinking of shearing off all the flowers! :-P I've been reading online that they recommend planting next to a seating area! NOOOOO!!!!

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, May 1, 13 at 7:12

You're sure the plant in question is actually Coleonema pulchrum 'Sunset Gold'? I use this plant a lot in garden designs and it most definitely does not have putrid smelling flowers nor has it ever attracted flies. In fact the flowers have no scent to speak of, and one must brush the foliage to release the fragrance.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, May 1, 13 at 7:16

You're sure the plant in question is actually Coleonema pulchrum 'Sunset Gold'? I use this plant a lot in garden designs and it most definitely does not have putrid smelling flowers nor has it ever attracted flies. In fact the flowers have no scent to speak of, and one must brush the foliage to release the fragrance.

o

I also have Sunset Gold coleonema and have no flies or foul smell...just the wonderfully scented foliage.

o

I don't remember the second latin name on the pots, but I thought they were Sunset Gold or Pacific Gold (or Pacific Sunset) coleonema something...I planted them like 5 or 6 years ago and didn't label them. Mine are in dappled light shade for part of the day, and haven't ever really sheared the back so they're about 3' x 4' wide and not as bright yellow. But, yes, the flowers are so nasty.

I just ran outside to snap a pic, and I tried to get one of the flies, too! It's breezy today so not as many "diners" ;-) But I did catch one fly. Trust me, when it was hot and not breezy, they were covered in flies.

photo IMG_2966_zps7241f85f.jpg

photo Picture2_zpsb5ca15d7.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here