Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildew on poppy foliage

Posted by onederw 10 SSZ 21 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 10:51

Okay. . . the big beautiful Drama Queen poppies are blooming (yaaay, Annie's!!), but the foliage is ugggg-leeeee. It seems to be beset by what I think is powdery mildew, and even though it doesn't seem to be affecting the blooms, I wonder what might be done to prevent it next time. (I have no expectation of being able to remedy the situation for this bloom season.) Anyone have experience with poppy mildew? Is this just something to put up with?

Kay

photo photo_zps66f87af4.jpg,
 photo photo_zpsdbcfc9d7.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildew on poppy foliage

The flowers are beautiful!

Next season, spray the poppies prior to the mildew appearing as it much easier to prevent than control. You can use neem oil or milk/water (part milk/part water). You can even use neem oil spray now if you'd like.
Mildew is very common in our zone 10 especially with very humid springs. I'm spraying almost all my annual plants once a week with a milk solution to hopefully prevent problems.

Z

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 0:33

Poppies mildew. They are fairly ephemeral and don't much care about their foliage once they get the flowers going. It's all about creating that next generation of seeds.

o

Sometimes if you plant them farther apart you can avoid some of the mildew problems. Otherwise, you can spray with a fungicide, but I don't think it's worth it. I plant the poppies behind other tall plants to hide the foliage.

Love Drama Queen!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here