Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwhelmed by weeds...

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 11:08

Does anyone else feel like the weeds are on steroids this year? I was in the garden yesterday and I noticed grasses that were taller than my kiwi arbor and the two year old kiwi vines on it.

I'm just getting over a little cold and walking through the garden all I can see is all the work I've got to get done - sooner rather than later. It's a tad overwhelming...

So, how thickly do you have to pile mulch to kill weeds that are currently thriving? Is mulch not enough? Should I put cardboard or newspaper down below the mulch?

Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwhelmed by weeds...

Later rains interspersed with warm ups. It's a bad year for weeds. Chop them down, layer with cardboard or 4 sheets of newspaper and put mulch 3 to 4" thick. Or, spray with RoundUp (or pickling vinegar if you don't want to use an herbicide), cardboard/newspaper, mulch.

Patty S.

o

I used Round-up on a regular basis when I first started trying to tame this half-acre 12-15 years ago. Once I got the weeds under control, I started planting a little bit at a time, but to tell you the truth, I still weed weekly during the "rainy" season. I never go into the yard without pulling a few piles of weeds. I don't think it will ever end.
Renee

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 17:59

Spreading out 10 yards of mulch every year is agony, but the result is no weeds. I try to get it done in January before the weeds have a chance to get going.

Yes as Patty said, late rains interspersed with warmth has sure made everything grow.

o

Yeah, overwhelmed by how tasty they are!

Purslane
Lambsquarters
Dandelion
Sow Thistle
Chickweed
Wood Sorrel
Wild Mustard

Sure beats going to the supermarket & doctor. Wish I could identify more of the weeds in my yard!

My strategy for weed control is to plant densely, mulch a lot and allow useful weeds to flourish, while removing the more noxious ones.

o

Well I'm feeling much better today. My wonderful bf helped by mowing and weed whacking and I was able to finish weeding my new flower bed and two of my three berry beds. I just couldn't bear to pull the borage out of the third bed because the bees were enjoying it so much, the little blueberry bushes will just have to tolerate being crowded for a month or so.

Now I just have to finish up around the fig tree, grape and kiwi vines, and fruit trees. Then I will be ready to start spreading newspaper and mulch... and then I can get started on my veggy garden.

It's neverending! But I wouldn't give it up for the world ;oP

o

Though it wouldn't work for every zone or every garden style .... Nasturtiums are my winter - into- spring ground cover .... they shade out any weed growth and are so easy to pull when it's time to get serious in the garden ... and they make wonderful cheerful little posies to take to shut-ins.

o

I've seen overwintered stands of nasturtiums down in Southern California, they are beautiful. I love nasturtiums but they aren't tough enough to withstand our frosts so I grow them as annuals, I have some healthy volunteers sprouting so I had to pull the weeds around them very carefully.

A lot of houses around here have Vinca as a groundcover to suppress weeds, but it's so aggressive I wouldn't want to plant it near my fruits or veggies. I think I'll mainly just pile on the mulch, but in my flower and veggy beds I'm going to start experimenting with Thyme and Sweet Alyssum as groundcovers.

o

There is an up side to weeding: privacy! There's nothing like going out to weed, to guarantee a little alone time :)

o

If you sheet mulch (using cardboard layers), make sure that any separate pieces of cardboard overlap by at least 6".

o

Cardboard works great and you can cover it with something prettier. Dandelion leaves were very tasty this spring. They help with circulation and guard against spider veins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here