Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Shredded redwood/"gorilla hair" mulch

Last year the very helpful folks on Landscape Design suggested that a good mulch for our sloping front yard would be the shredded redwood type ("gorilla hair"). So my DH bought 6 or 7 bags at HD and yesterday I used all but one...and I was trying to be VERY sparing.

Today it's really windy, so I'm worried about it blowing away.

My kids and I stomped it down really well yesterday b/c I wanted it to mat together and not wash off if it rained, etc, and it did seem to compress well...but it was probably the most expensive mulch we've ever tried!

I just wondered if anyone is experienced with this stuff. I've tried the free mulch from tree trimmers, the free mulch from our utility company, purchased "play yard" mulch (in bulk - DH liked the way it looked) and so far we've always had mulch spilling onto the sidewalk.

I love the free mulch for the level areas of our yard, but was it worth it to spend the money on shredded redwood for the slope? Eventually I hope to have my plantings dense enough that mulch run-off will be minimal, and maybe I can go back to the cheaper stuff ;-)

Comments (5)