Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomagranate not blooming

Posted by svenska CA18/19 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 11:59

I have a three year old pomegranate in a very large pot. The tree seems happy, has put out good new branches and foliage each year after a 1/3 pruning while dormant. However, it has never bloomed. It leafs out wonderfully and is attractive in that way, but of course, I want more. It gets morning and early afternoon sun, but I have it in shade during the hottest afternoon. Because it's in a pot I didn't want to cook the roots. I had never fertilized it before this spring, but did use a "tea" that was somewhat heavy on the phosphorus side about three weeks ago. I'm getting lots of new leaves, but still can't spot a bloom. Any hints?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomagranate not blooming

Three years is not very old. Why do you prune it? I have two 15 years old that bloom, but I never prune them. One is a wonderful and one is a nana. It is way too early for them to bloom this year. Al

o

I have 4, in-ground. One is blooming but the other 3 haven't bloomed yet. They are all in full sun, and have not been pruned.

Suzi

o

I have 4 eversweet poms in gound that are 3 yrs old. A couple of them are putting on buds for the first time now but none on others. I have also read that blooms may not lead to fruits for another year or two. If your tree is healthy it just need to mature. I can hardly wait for my first home grown pom... Hope you get to have yours soon too!

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here