Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leahcate

Sad at the passing of Laguna Hills Nursery

leahcate
14 years ago

I am saddened that we in south O.C. are losing this one-time premier nursery. The owner, Gary Matsuoka, has been a wonderfully generous source for gardening information; his was advice that could be trusted. His ads in the Register read like mini educational articles.

I am so sorry for Gary and so sad for me.

Comments (17)

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Why are they closing?

Joe

• leahcate
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not sure. Partly due, I'd guess, to their move made during the bad economy and then returning to the old sight. That must have been a big drain on resources. It was mentioned that despite the economy, R.E.prices still make it tough to find affordable nursery land.
    I hope Gary finds an outlet where he will continue to share his knowledge with gardeners.

• laurmela
    14 years ago

Was just there today, not much left!

Got a few tomato plants and some salvia. Sad to see them go as well. Guess I will have to drive down to Plant Depot from now on for unusual plants. Tired of the boring stuff the big box stores have.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Great place, I will miss it. I got some roses there in January, as I have every year for a long time. I guess they'll be my last momentos.

• prestons_garden
    13 years ago

NNNNOOOOOOooooooo.... I cant believe it and dont want to. Gary is a very knowlegable and caring individual when it comes to helping people with gardening issues. I just spoke to him on the phone on the 29th and had no idea he was closing his store. We had planned on going to Laguna Hills Nursey today to talk to Gary in person, sadly,that has now changed.Gary will be missed :-(

• surfcityhb
    13 years ago

This is very, very bad.

Not only did Gary have the best selection of trees in Southern California, many hard-to-find, drought-tolerant perennials, great pots, a great selection every spring of clematis in teeny-tiny containers, but his Planter Mix has transformed my garden!

Oh nooooo! What are we going to do without you Gary?

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Sad to hear this :(. I purchased a couple hard to find fruit trees from the nursery in the past. I guess it was hard on them with the move back and forth and economy in free fall.

• naughtykitty
    13 years ago

I talked to one of the employees 2 weeks ago and he said they were having landlord problems/lease issues. They plan to reopen when they find a new location. He said maybe Irvine.

My mom went to the "new" nursery today at the home of LH Nursery. I'll see her tomorrow and ask how it is. Nothing can compare to Gary and crew though.

• marvelousmarvin
    13 years ago

Gary is the type that would rather lose the sale than sell you the wrong plant or tree.

One time, I came in all ready to his nursery all ready to buy a meyer lemon tree to grow in a container. So, I was a pretty easy sell- I knew what I wanted- and everything was all set.

But, he convinced me that putting a meyer lemon in a container would have been for the tree and that I needed to grow it in the ground. With only room for it in a container, I ended up not buying the tree.

How many businesses can you say would have done that?

• reallyred
    13 years ago

Oh I do hope to find out if/when they re-open. When my Mom lived in Laguna one of our favorite jaunts was over to LHN. I always learned so much and I hope only the best for their future!

• mellenpatch
    13 years ago

Dear Gary,

Please let us know where you go. We will follow you and bring our friends!

• claireanne
    12 years ago

Gary is at the Mission Viejo Farmers Market on Fridays and The Great Park Farmers Market (Irvine) on Sundays.

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

So many good places are closing. Someday we will be left with only stores like home depot, Walmart and OSH.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Gary is at the Mission Viejo Farmers Market on Fridays and The Great Park Farmers Market (Irvine) on Sundays.

And the Old Town Orange Farmers Market on Saturdays.

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

He also has a wonderful newsletter that he email out. Ask to be on the list when you visit him at the farmers markets.

• svenska
    12 years ago

Here in the Inland Empire, we are losing Newell's Nursery in Yucaipa. Sounds a lot like Laguna Hills Nursery. I feel horrid at the loss, closing because of finances. Will have to travel farther to get quality plants and specific hybrids, not to mention the superior information and education. But I will continue to spend my money at independantly owned nurseries. If not, they will all be gone and we'll only have ourselves to blame. End of soapbox lecture.

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

Plants from big box stores are more likely to have viruses, and the soil those plants come in are more likely to have weed seeds and pathology. Quality plants come from real nurseries.