Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver lupine and slugs.

Posted by melle_sacto Z9/Sunset 14 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 12:10

I planted one last fall and it seemed to settle in quite nicely -- mostly full sun on a clay-ish hillside that has been mulched for years.

But apparently it's snail bait because when I looked for it yesterday all I found were silver twigs w/some tiny tiny barely-leafed-out leaves. I got out the "big guns" :Sluggo. I only use it when plants are at risk of being totally devoured.

When it's bigger will it do better, or is this going to be a constant battle?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver lupine and slugs.

I grew lupinus albifrons and constantly had to battle snails/slugs.

o

Bummer! I was so excited -- native plant, GORGEOUS, full sun/low-water...figures I will have to battle slugs >:-( Luckily I have a large container of Sluggo. Need to keep them out of my strawberry bed, too ;-)

o

Sluggo isn't a "big gun," so don't feel bad about using it. (Unless you are using the one which kills other critters too. Not sure about that one.) I find it needs to be put out every 7-10 days. Just put out some petunias. The ate a whole plant in just a couple days. Put the Sluggo out today.

o

Thanks -- I do feel bad about killing them, but since they don't seem to feel bad about decimating one thing while leaving everything else unscathed...guess too bad for them for being so greedy! I only put it around plants they are attacking.

Hope your petunias recover -- they are so cheerful!

o

My garden is slug free until I plant lupines. Maybe delphiniums are an equal treat.

o

Iron Phosphate is awesome and there are off brands of it that are less expensive than Sluggo. I have dogs in my garden and mutant slugs that would knock on the door at dinner time if they had knuckles. A sprinkle a day makes the the slime go away. I admit to hurling the creatures into the woods too, but my pitch is weak, and sometimes they hit things, then I feel a little bad. But just a little.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here