Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant daffodils?

Posted by manifest Playa del Rey, CA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 12:11

I just discovered a small bag of double daffodil bulbs that a former co-worker gave me last year. I've never grown daffodils and also recently moved close to the beach. I'm wondering if the cool climate in my area would make it ok for me to plant them now. If not, what's the best way for me to store them until I can plant them in the fall? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant daffodils?

I don't know the answer to your question but understand your thinking, being in a moderate climate area compared to So. CA inland valleys. Here's a link on the bulb forum which might help you decide:

Here is a link that might be useful: late planting of daffys

o

I have planted them in the spring and they did fine, but I would try to make sure they do not get too dry before they are established.

o

You should plant them ASAP just so they don't die. They may not bloom this year since you've waited too long, but next year they should. They won't survive w/o being planted and kept in a bag.

o

And when they grow, be sure to let the foliage die down completely before removing it.

Are you still here, manifest?

o

• Posted by manifest USDA 11a, Sunset 24, (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 23:55

Still here! Thanks for the help...been out in the garden getting beds prepped, as well as nursery hopping. :) I got the daffodils planted today and hoping they'll bloom this year.

So I found this on ebay: a pink daffodil

Not sure what to make of it. The photo clearly looks Photoshopped to me, but the reviews of this seller are very positive. Is there such a thing as a double daffodil that's all pink?

o

Wow, that is impressive. I would love to get something like that as a gift for my neighbor. I searched for pink daffodils from major growers, and found nothing like that. Some pinkish ones with a lot of white as well, nothing all pink and double like that. And the photo looks a little suspicious.

I don't think I'll order, anyway it's getting a little late to plant.

Keep us posted on those daffies. I think they will bloom.

o

I had daffodils in Venice that my roommate planted somewhat late in the season, and they still bloomed. I never dug them up, and they would bloom again each year, although generally ealier than this. I'm in Westchester now and have a bulb growing in my back yard that I have not been able to identify yet, and I think it might be a tulip, but it might be ginger. I won't know until it blooms.

I'm just a little bit further inland from you now.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here