Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these giant mosquito looking insects?

Posted by californian 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 12:14

My neighborhood in north Orange County is infested this year with bugs that look like giant mosquitos. Anyone know what they are called and are they a beneficial insects or something I should try to kill? Every time I open the door several try to fly inside, and if I mow the grass dozens of them rise up out of the grass ahead of my lawnmower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these giant mosquito looking insects?

They are crane flies (mostly species of Tipula).

They're beneficial in the sense that their larvae feed on decomposing vegetation in mucky wet areas.

A couple of fun myths: many people call them "mosquito hawks" or "mosquito eaters", thinking they catch mosquitos. And an old Italian myth: they poke you in the eyes (and why else would they have such long legs?!).

Joe

o

Cal: I live in OC too. Those crane flies are completely harmless, but they drive my wife insane. Luckily I have a solution: carnivorous plants. Here's a photo of a sundew feasting on an unlucky crane fly:

Crane fly trapped by Drosera capensis

o

Thanks I always thought that was what they were like many others. We don't get bothered by them and aways left them alone. Nice to know what they really are
Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here