Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Need help choosing a vine for a tricky spot

peachymomo
11 years ago

What do you do with areas that get mostly shade during the cool months and then hot, baking, midday sun in the summer? My big spring project is the spiral garden next to my new deck, for most of the planting areas I scattered a mix of seeds that like varying conditions just to see what does well where. But there is one spot where I want to plant a vine, and I really have no idea what to use. My fear is that a shade lover will cook in midsummer and a sun lover will languish about 8 months out of the year. In a recent Fine Gardening article on vines they say that the Alpine Clematis will grow in full sun to full shade, do you think that might be the right choice?

Just to elaborate on the sun conditions, for most of the year there is full shade in the early morning cast by the house, followed by some full but mostly dappled sun. In the summer when the angle of the sun changes the garden gets morning shade and then full sun for most of the day until the oak tree shade arrives at about 4 or 5pm.

I'm hoping to find something that will thrive in those conditions... please help!

I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a pretty restrained grower because I want to train the vine onto a modestly sized obelisk trellis.

This post was edited by peachymomo on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 12:20

Comments (4)