Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Los Altos Plant Exchange Saturday , May 1st

mark4321_gw
13 years ago

A friend told me about the Los Altos Plant Exchange on Saturday. I have never been, so all I know is what I have read online (and in a longer email I won't post here). Here's a blurb from Palo Alto Online:

"PLANT EXCHANGE ... Get ready to dig up healthy plants, including seedlings, cuttings, bulbs, small trees and shrubs, to swap at the Spring Plant Exchange on Saturday, May 1, from 10 a.m. to noon. The free swap, sponsored by the Garden Club of Los Altos and the Los Altos Recreation Department, is held in the parking lot of the Hillview Community Center, 97 Hillview Ave., Los Altos. Plants must be labeled, and no privets or invasive plants are accepted. Information: Betty Lee at 650-906-1651 or betlee59@gmail.com."

I'm hoping to make it, and plan to bring the following. (Most are month old rooted cuttings, a few sprouted tubers or seedlings):

Agapetes serpens (1)

Aristolochia gigantea (4)

Aristolochia trilobata (1)

Brugmansia vulcanicola, Stybring clone/hybrid (1)

Brugmansia sanguinea 'Inca Princess' (yellow form) (1)

Echium wildpretii (2)

Oxalis tuberosa (Oca), red (1)

Oxalis tuberosa (Oca) orange (1)

Passiflora 'Mission Dolores' (parritae x antioquiensis) (1)

Passiflora antioquiensis (1)

Passiflora edulis 'Nancy Garrison' (4)

Passiflora gritensis (1)

Passiflora membranacea (3)

Passiflora tripartita var. mollissima (true mollissima, not P. tarminiana) (1)

Passiflora umbilicata (1)

Physalis peruviana (Cape Gooseberry) (2)

Salvia dombeyi (1)

Senecio orbicularis (2)

Ullucus tuberosa (Ulluco) (1)

The exchange conflicts with the non-member day of the big sale at Strybing Arboretum, but hopefully some people can make it and bring interesting things.

Comments (7)

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The full "rules" of the sale tell those who have nothing to exchange to stay away. I think everyone should be able to participate; if someone finds themselves in this situation please contact me and I'll see if I can work something out. I can always find something to give a couple people. Unfortunately I will be out of contact beginning mid-day tomorrow. If there are others who can help that way please post here.

• sjgardengal
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I would love to attend. I wish I had know about this earlier so I can prepare. Do cuttings need to be rooted? Some of my plants have no id but I can give a full description. Do I need to bring only ID plant? I have lots of flowers and bulbs but won't have time to dig up. I'll try to bring some bulbs.

• deep___roots
    13 years ago

I might drop by. Do I have to take something in exchange or can I just give my stuff to people?
    I have some nice trees, like california buckeyes, a monterey cypress (4 feet tall), and a pine tree (4 feet tall). All from seed or dug up from my yard and I do not need these.
    Got a salvia puberula cutting. Not sure how available this variety is, but the flowers are pretty unusual.
    Since it is a choice of attending this for a couple of hours or expunging swathes of privet seedlings from my yard, I might choose this. You're positive no one wants privet seedlings? Wonder why not (wink).

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sjgardengal,

Based on the longer email my friend forwarded me unrooted cuttings are absolutely fine, and descriptions are OK if you don't have an ID. I'll forwarded that email to you privately.

deep___roots,

I'm sure you can donate and not take.

I'm still thinking of taking some extra stuff and somehow making it obvious and available if people show up without things. If I figure something out I'll post it here tomorrow morning. Gotta go.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did not make it back into town in time for the exchange. My plants are all boxed up and ready to go--perhaps there is a comparable event elsewhere?

• habitat_gardener
    13 years ago

Hmm...I wonder if an online plant exchange, on yahoo or whatever, would work. I've been wanting to try oca! I'll probably have extra tomato seedlings in a month. They've been growing very slowly in a cold frame.

I'm always potting up extras to give away, so I took 2.5 flats of various plants to the exchange yesterday and came home with half a flat.

Another place to donate a few plants is the Western Hort meetings. I don't know exactly how it works, but each month (2nd Weds. in Los Altos) they have a speaker followed by a show-and-tell of favorite and interesting plants, then a raffle of a couple dozen plants. The May speaker will be talking about Lester Rowntree, one of the pioneers of native hort in Calif. She lived in Carmel and spent summers motoring around the state collecting seeds.

• habitat_gardener
    13 years ago

p.s. After the May 12 meeting, Western Hort's next meeting is in Sept. They take a break in the summer. It looks like anyone is welcome to bring plants for show and tell or to donate for the raffle.