Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Woodland border plant advice

peachymomo
10 years ago

I'm starting to propagate and collect plants to create my woodland border and I just wanted to run my list by the knowledgeable gardeners here to see if anything should be removed or added. I live in an older neighborhood in Sonoma County, there are quite a few tall trees around so the entire yard is partly to mostly shaded. I want a mixed hedgerow that will serve as an attractive privacy screen and wildlife habitat, I will install irrigation to get the plants established but would like to cut down to minimal or no watering once everything has grown enough. The yard is 110' wide and about 150' deep, so I have quite a bit of linear footage to cover.

My Mom's house is a few miles away and it has some very well established landscape plants that I was thinking I could propagate to use as the backbone for my own border, to save money and because they are obviously well adapted to the area. She has some kind of evergreen redberry bush that I see all around town, with smallish oval leaves and red berries that are showy and long lasting, I'm not sure what it is. There is also flowering quince, viburnum tinus, and some kind of spirea, possibly bridal wreath. I also ended up with a couple of little tree seedlings that look like a cross between her native plum and red leafed plum (I dug them up when they were dormant, thinking they were quince.)

To that I want to add a few rambling roses that will tolerate part shade and eventually ramble into some of the trees, like Rosa banksia, Cecil Brunner, and Madam Alfred Carriere. As well as Viburnum opulus Roseum, and Ribes sanguineum glutinosum. For a large evergreen shrub I was thinking Holleyleaf Osmanthus looks good.

Is there anything I have listed that stands out as unfit for this application? Or are there things that I should definitely add? I want a nice mix of deciduous and evergreen, with some showy displays in different seasons.

Comments (2)