Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A question for the experts.

Posted by quiltnhen z9CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 12:50

My husband's off to get a load of soil to build up mounds in a few planting areas of our evolving back yard.

After reading something recently I thought he should wet the area and cover it with newspaper before mounding to prevent all the weeds at the bottom getting mixed up in things.

His plan is rototill and mix them both.

Anyone have a firm opinion on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A question for the experts.

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 13:51

Weed seeds won't germinate through several inches of new soil. If the new soil is 'clean' then I would loosen the old soil first (rototill or fork to loosen hard packed soil) and then cover it with the new soil, followed by a layer of Mulch.
If you are worried about creating a 'transition' layer you can do some mild 'forking' afterwards, but be aware you may bring weed seeds to the surface where they will sprout.
Newspaper is used to block perennial weeds like Bermuda grass. If you have this be aware that tilling will create many root cuttings which will all sprout eventually, and may be spread over a larger area.

o
RE: A question for the experts.

Thank you. He scraped off most of the weeds and we're hoping there's no bermuda grass! I appreciate your input. He actually sprayed to eradicate most of the weeds, but since it's spring they're plentiful!
LindaB/CA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here