Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Solanum jasminoides (white potato vine)

jenn
16 years ago

What can you tell me from experience about Solanum jasminoides (white potato vine) in terms of heat/sun tolerance, ease of care, aggressiveness, length of bloom, etc?

I am considering using it on a wood fence in the back yard. The fence faces south and gets sun most of the day except early-mid morning. We have clay soil. A trellis is already on the fence for the climbing rose that used to be there.

Thanks,

Jen

Comments (20)

• sputnikfarm
    16 years ago

One of my favorites. Bulletproof in my experience.
    Pros- easy care, beautiful green foliage all year, blooms year round, not too much litter, very attractive.

Possible cons- Is a vigorous grower that may require some hard pruning a few times a year depending on how large you want it to get.

I had it it growing up some stair rails in full, hot sun and it covered 40 feet in one year. I trimmed it often to keep the handrail free of vegetation.It looked fabulous and always got oohs and aahs.My neighbor has it growing on our common fence and it looks great peaking over, and I think he trims it 1x per year and lets it get as big as it wants.

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I don't have the white potato vine,but i do have the purple one.My growing conditions are similar to yours.Mine is on the south side of my house,in full sun most all day long,the soil is clay and mine grows up and over a chain link fence.The only difference i see is that i'm along the coast.

For us,it's a terrific plant,it flowers ALL year long,i kid you not.It's not messy,and thrives on neglect.We planted it years ago to hide the neighbors junky yard and part of the canyon that's behind my house and it serves tose purposes very well and then some.

Ours is so big now it covers what we wanted it to and we let it keep going into a tree form now.Where it's located in our yard causes no problems whatsoever!!
    HTH
    Kathi

Hope the white blooms as profusely as the purple.
    Kathi

• jenn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Sounds like a great vine!

Just behind the fence in our neighbors' yard are some Cypress trees. In front of the vine will be a Salvia 'San Carlos Festival' which grows wide about 4' tall. I wouldn't want the vine to grow outwards too much, but just stay along the fence. It could grow up into the Cypress trees though (the neighbors planted them right at the edge of the fence line).

Sounds like it would also be ideal growing up a patio post.

Jen

• jenn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I found it and planted it today. Now I'll just have to stand back and watch it engulf the yard, LOL.

I'm hoping it won't get too shrubby and grow outward from the fence. It's planted behind Salvia 'Indigo Spires' right against the back wood fence.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

I love this vine and every time I see it at the nurseries I think of getting one again. But I have to grow it as an annual as it doesn't like my cold winter. Do any of you who grow it know if the roots are shallow enough to grow it in a container? Then I could try moving it inside for the winter.

Jenn, I bet it will do great in your yard. I've seen it at the Armstrong nursery on Foothill - isn't that near you? I am there almost every week when I go to visit my dad in Upland. It's so close by it's a shame not to drop in and see what I can't resist. ; )

Diana

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

The most unusual use of this plant I have seen was at the Montgomery Village Shopping center in Santa Rosa. The west side shops have a roof over the sidewalk supported by posts about 15 feet apart. A horizontal 2x6 between the posts about 3 feet above the sidewalk, was topped with a cylinder shaped chicken wire. Potato vine was planted in the ground and grown down the chicken wire. Once established the wire was hidden with the vine and the blooms. It looked like flower boxes overflowing with white flowers. I don't know how many vines were planted but several hundred feet were involved. Al

• Mateo179_aol_com
    13 years ago

Do you find white potatoe vine to be fragrant??
    Can anyone tell me more about their experience smelling this plant?
    Thank-you!

• JimInSonoma
    13 years ago

Matt, white potato vine is definitely NOT fragrant. "Jasminoides" references only the appearance of the small white flowers. It's a great landscape plant, but I always do feel a little cheated by the lack of scent.

• Pamela_g_Edwards_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I live in Dallas area and just bought one. Couldn't resist even though I know nothing about it. Can I grow it in large pot?

• bunny2244_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Do you know if this plant could choke out a eucalyptus (or any tree)? I would like to plant it at the base and have it grow up the trunk and branches but i do not want to kill the tree.

Thanks.

• jackxmarge_aol_com
    12 years ago

We have sevceral plants along our south fence (on the north side of the fence) They were doing great and then the leaves started to curl up and drop off on all of the plants. I don't know what to do, they look like they are dying. Have you any suggestions? thank you

• lugalbanda
    12 years ago

I am living in Ft Myers FL, I would like to buy a solanum jasminoides. I can not find near by nurseries. Also I need a dozen Coral Plant (jatropha) seeds. Please help me.

• GypsieMariposa
    12 years ago

PLEASE!!! Can anyone help me fine this plant?! I've been searching everywhere and I'm sure I'm driving every forum crazy.... Please help.

• Blake Hayde
    8 years ago

I have about 15 potato vines covering the back and side fences of my backyard. I live in Orange County Ca. And they just won't grow. They are very sticky. Anyone have any help or suggestions? I thought they were going to grow very easy.

• Jit Dutta
    7 years ago

My vine was doing fine, but now the leaves are turning yellowish and then brown and the vine looks sickly with the branches drying up and turning brown. Any suggestion what to do?

Thanks

• deegillannie
    6 years ago

Does anyone know the lifespan of the white potato vine? I've had mine for 6 years and it's always been beautiful but is suddenly dying - it's fed and watered regularly and I will replace it with another, but I'd just like to know how long they usually live.

• james_jakeway
    5 years ago
    I’ve ready they only last 5-6 years.
  • kathi_mdgd
    5 years ago

Mine is closer to 20 years old,maybe older.It thrives on neglect.

• Matthew Gandin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Mine grows on a trellis i built above my 6 foot fence in the front garden that leads to the side yard. It is extremely vigorous. It is interwoven with a wisteria plant, so I have the Solanum that blooms year round and wisteria

that shows itself in the spring.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor