Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Edible landscaping in Disneyland

homey_bird
12 years ago

Hi,

I recently visited Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. In addition to all the pretty ornamental trees etc, I was pleasantly surprised to find large areas of broccoli, chard, several kinds of lettuce leaves planted. (Darn, forgot to take pictures!).

Just wanted to share and wanted to know in case there's anyone here who is knowledgeable about it: is this the new Disneyland thing, to plant edibles? Do they actually use the produce in their restaurants? Is it organically grown? Just curious!! I thought that from a huge operation like Disneyland, it was quite creditable that they are experimenting with various types of plantings. (did not notice this during my past trip ~6 years back).

Comments (6)

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    12 years ago

As much as anything I think it's a safety issue - all plantings are non-toxic - so edibles definitely fit that description.

I have noticed this every time I was there (over the last 15 years)

Occasionally I have spotted an unusual plant - like the Veltheimia growing under the Tarzan tree house...

Chad

• kristincarol
    12 years ago

Having worked there I would be very surprised if the "crops" grown on site were used in the restaurants there. For one thing, they could not produce enough to supply their needs. On the third weekend in August the park has over 75, 000 guests in one day--that's a lot of iceburg.

Also, I'd say it was window dressing. If green is the new trend then the park will follow, or at least, appear to be following whatever the public perceives as correct/beneficial.

I'd worry very much about what is left in the so-called soil after all the decades (more than half a century, eh?) of intensive annual bedding that was done at the park. Beautiful, yes, but at what cost? Lots and lots of chemicals were used I'm sure of that.

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

They think it's a vision of the future to use them in the beds. Personally I like a mix of veggies and flowers in my beds. Then when you harvest, it doesn't leave such a hole. I always thought that replacing street trees with fruit trees would go a long way to help feed the hungry. I never objected when hungry kids or men delivering flyers ate a fig or two off my driveway tree. I would gladly donate some plants to help feed the homeless if the city would give space for them. Why not because it's the same water that they would use anyway for another tree.

• homey_bird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I agree that the crops grown could not feed all the visitors. And I agree on decades of chemical use etc. That's the story of most of our farmlands too isn't it? Even now, if I tour the outskirts of Bay Area (where I live) and go to local fruit farms etc, many of them grow pesticide free, but would not grow in completely organic soil. The temptation of using chemical fertilizers to get bigger and brighter fruit is just too much!

Anyway - I still do think, whatever the motivation (image building or aesthetic) -- I think that the trend is great. I personally have never seen this scale of edible landscaping outside of actual farms -- so it was great to see it!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

And it's pretty.

• kristincarol
    12 years ago

I have always grown herbs, vegetables and flowers together and I do think it is a great thing to do. What could be better than reaching down for something to munch while enjoying beautiful flowers?

I think that the "yardening" project the Master Gardener program supports is a better method to get people thinking that way. Most of the elementary/K-8 schools here have flower and veggie gardens. Get to the kids early with those good ideas and they become good habits. Anytime the corporate world gets involved it really isn't in the people's best interest.