Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Avocados from Colombia SA compared to CA grown?

My Colombian wife say's that the avocados from Colombia SA taste different than the ones that I buy, grown in CA.

She doesn't like the CA grown. Is that just in her mind?

Are they a different species, or maybe even a different fruit all together?

When we visit her family in Colombia I have ate a lot of avocado, but only in recipes, so I didn't notice a difference.

The avocados in the store and on the street there are very big about the size of an eggplant! I figured that was because of the climate though?

Comments (10)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

There are many, many different varieties of avocado. Among those varieties commonly grown in California and in Columbia there is some overlap--but there are also some varieties that are grown specific to the region(s). Even within the U.S. there may be some varieties that are grown in Florida, for example, that are not as well adapted to California's climate. Unfortunatetly, big agriculture businesses often grow what is prolific over tastiest. But you can find some wonderful varieties offered by farmers at farmer's markets and in specialty produce shops. Unfortunately, I tend to not remember their names because I do not consume a large number of avocados per year.

In Central and South America, more commonly than in the United States I believe, specific varieties may be only grown in limited-sized regions. For example, one family's seedling tree may have especially fine fruit and the locals in the town may propagate and choose to grow that variety(but it may not even have a true variety name).

There are also some fruits that are related to avocados that are grown (such as coyo, which is more often grown in Mexico and Central America). I am not familiar enough with the avocado family to know if there are others that may be grown in Columbia.

• glib
    9 years ago

More to the point, in the US we eat persea americana, in Colombia they eat persea indica.

• glib
    9 years ago

oops. I meant mexican type and guatemalan type. they are both per sea americana.

• MrClint
    9 years ago

The wife is always right. :)

Get some 'Reed' avocados in the Summer and see what she thinks.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

California Avocado's are better from the market since they aren't picked nearly as early as the Columbian's shipped here if that's what you meant.
    Now,if you mean right off the tree in your yard? I like the thick buttery,nutty flavor of the best we grow. I had one like that. Maybe she likes the more tropical types that are watery..blander in comparison. All a matter of personal tastes and preference.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No these weren't shipped, the were grown locally in Bogota Colombia. And several other places that we visited with her family in Colombia SA.

I never tried any that wasn't already mixed in to a recipe but it didn't seem watery and tasted the same to me.

They had a lot of fruits and veggies that I had never saw or tasted.

The corn is huge and tasty there also, the ears were 14" long and 3" in diameter with really big kernels. I brought back some seeds and planted them. The stalks were 14' tall but I didn't get but a few ears of corn, I think it is too hot and the days too long here.

They have 12 hours of daylight and temps around 70, with lows around 50 year round.

• nonmember_gw
    9 years ago

Sounds like the third group, 'West Indian' avocados, very different from the Guatemalan an Mexican groups common in California.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

I've tried the west Indian tropical Avocado's. You must have to be raised eating them to like them. I know relatives from the Philippines like to use Avocado's in cooking,or milkshakes. Not so much guacamole or Avocado dips. Its like green Papaya's and Mango's for cooking or pickling vs grown for American palates of ripe, sweet, fruits.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

The main commercial avocado here in California is Hass. Which is a Guatemalan avocado type. But, wetach, you are comparing apples and oranges in a couple of different ways: First off, comparing a home grown avocado from Columbia to a store bought avocado, here. My Lamb Hass, Reed, Gwen, Sharwil and Jan Boyce grown in my yard are all outstanding, and I am sure would compare equally as well as whatever particular home-grown cultivar your wife enjoyed in Columbia. And that is the second part - we don't know what cultivar that was, to fairly compare it to some of our very outstanding cultivars here in California that we can grow with consistent success. None of the above mentioned avocados are watery. They are rich, smooth, creamy and have just the best taste ever. So, it really is a matter of what you grew up with and are used to. But, our lovely avocados can stand up to any grown in Central or South America, and even Hawaii (the home of the famous Sharwil, Hawaii's number one commercial avo). I eat avocados every single day, at least once a day. Not saying I'm an expert, but I do have some experience with eating them right out of the skin, in dips, recipes, etc. :-)

Patty S.

• DHLCAL
    9 years ago

Maybe visit a farmer's market? I recall seeing 4 or 5 different varieties of avocado at the one in Alhambra (Sunday mornings) and they are probably picked closer to ripe than those in the supermarkets.