Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregavi

When to harvest Haas Avocados?

gregavi
12 years ago

I have a 6 YO Haas dwarf tree that has been producing for a couple years. I live in So. Cal. My tree has 25 or 30 3-1/2" X 2-1/2" avos. I never know when to start picking. What should I look for?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

gregavi, Don't know how you intent on using your avocados, but if you just want a couple every now and then, just cut a few and let them ripen in the house. Sometimes I've cut a couple that are small, but they ripen just fine. Better I get them then the squirrels or people visiting the tree at night.

• gregavi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I have done it that way but I really wanted to know what the optimum time to harvest was. Is it a time of year or more a look they get? I had a friend tell me when they start to turn black is the best time to pick. ???
    Thanks

• lgteacher
    12 years ago

Hass are black when ready to pick. Then they need to sit around for a few days to ripen. This is generally the right time of year to pick. You don't have to pick them all at once.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado information

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

My Hass are not black when they are ready to pick. They never turn black on the tree. Mine are green and hard. I have been harvesting for about three weeks, and right now they are at their peak of perfection.

Take a look at the green fruit. If it has a glaucus coating at the top of the fruit (sort of a whitish film you can rub off) it is ready to harvest. I harvest from mid-March to June. I can still eat them into August, but by then they are starting to get yellow flesh inside and they are beginning to turn rancid.

Renee

• chezron
    12 years ago

Avocados do not ripen on the tree. They must be picked to initiate ripening.

• yukkuri_kame
    12 years ago

The nub should be left on - don't think 3 inches of stem is necessary, but that's about the way they come off the tree when I use the fruit picker to pick the higher fruit.

I am up in the foothills on the north side of L.A. (verdugo mountain). At Christmas the fruit is too early, but edible. By end of January this year, the avos were tasty enough - but not full flavor and a little smallish. By beginning of March they were very flavorful and getting bigger.

Still lots of fruit on the tree and I am more interested in a slow, steady harvest than of getting fruits at the absolute max ripeness. Currently picking about 4 avos per week. They should last until at least June, but we'll see.

I am looking to add other varieties to my Haas to extend the harvest season.

Reed and Sharwill at the top of my list. Anybody got one they'd be willing to let me graft from?

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I tried to photograph the glaucus coating for you, gregavi, but it didn't really show up in the photo. If you rub the top of an avocado near the stem and it looks really shiny where you have rubbed it in contrast to the rest of the avocado, they are ready.
    Renee

• CleanNsober
    11 years ago

I live about 5 mins from T.J. mexico in chula vista ca. right by intersate 5 south on the bay side ,I have a large Hass Tree about 28 year old it was just a twig when I put it in the ground back in the day lol :-),I pick Avocados from Mar. to Dec.,its Nov.25th and 75 degrees out its great to live here in San Diego ,I had to cut my Tree back this year( Nov.01) a lot going to put up a new fence to keep out Avocado stealer lol lol lol ,I wonder where they were when I dug the hole??? but now they are like flys, GO AWAY!!!!,I have trim the tree from time to time but never like it is now my wife call me a butcher,but you got to do what you got to do ,So I'am hoping I didn't hurt the tree in anyway I guess will fine out this spring ,I pick most of them off the tree got a full trash can full gave to all my family ,friends some neighbors,my Q: is did I hurt the tree ??? am I a butcher like my wife said ??? or am I OK with the tree :-)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Hey Clean, the commercial growers whack their Avocado trees hard to keep them short enough to harvest. Don't worry, it will grow again (and grow, and grow...). Best though to leave enough on the tree to keep the roots shaded. Even when the tree is quite mature, it still likes shaded roots. The commercial growers basically cut everything off above a certain height.