Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free compost manure? What kind?

Posted by sanda Uz10/Sz23 SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 13:33

Hi everyone! I am in Noth OC. I have an established garden with awful clay soil planted with tropicals (more details if you click on my profile) I really need to improve the soil, and am looking for sources of FREE compost manure, from places like Norco and such...Now, poop is just poop or does it make a difference on what kind of poop? Horse, cow, rabbit, chicken or steer manure? Could you share a good source?

Also info on how much to add in, since the planters are established and planted close together, I can't really turn the soil, just add on top...2" or so? And then add mulch?

I've bought bagged compost before and ended up with a bunch of weeds... also bought bagged mulch and again, weeds...sigh! I have a fairily big lot so at this point I'm looking for a free sounce.

Thanks so much for the help,
Sanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free compost manure? What kind?

I don't know about free compost... Mushroom compost can be had cheap, but is high in salts...

What you can get free, and delivered, are tree chippings from local tree trimmers. Just try to avoid a load with a lot of palm leaves or the like as they don't break down.

Friends with a very large lot had mountains of chippings delivered which they spread around the yard as mulch (Do not dig them into the soil!). After 3 years the chippings had decomposed enough that they could plant directly in them and the soil below was full of worms...

Chad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here