Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocados in Sacramento area

Posted by norcal916 ss 14 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 13:39

Not sure if this question has already been addressed in the past but I did a search and couldn't find...
I live just east of Sacramento in Fair Oaks. Bought a 3 foot tall Haas Avacado last year. I planted in a large container thinking the Haas would be too frost sensitive for in ground( I move it into garage for the night if there's a hard frost/freeze predicted). Currently it's lush with new leaves and looks great. My question is does anyone know if it will eventually bear fruit strictly as a container tree ? I assume it wouldn't be wise to plant a Haas in ground here?
On that note does anyone know of or have experience growing other hardier avacado types like Bacon or Fuerte that will do good and produce in ground in Sacramento?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocados in Sacramento area

THE best avo variety for inland NorCal is hands down Mexicola or Mexicola Grande (same tree but bigger fruit). Bacon and Fuerte will be fine for 10 to 15 years and then get whacked back by a hard freeze before regrowing, but Mexicola will be unscathed and prolific. Our friends have been growing them for many years with great success. The nurseries don't always stock them but they can definitely order them.

Hass is NOT good in the ground in Sacramento. It does okay in the coastal Bay Area (Oakland, San Jose, etc) but not inland. Really frost tender.

Trust me on Mexicola! You won't be sorry!

Oh, keep in mind avocados like a little filtered afternoon shade if possible in a hot area.

o

kerrican2001 -thanks for the tip. I will look into the Mexicola !

o

Is there much difference in fruit between Hass and Mexicola?

o

Also a frost tender plant always has a better chance in ground then kept in a pot. Better to plant the Hass and enjoy until a 1990 type freeze returns in 10 or 20 years, or never again.

o

kerrican2001, great advise on what to grow. Just one point of fact, Mexicola and Mexicola Grande are not related other than they are both avocados. Mexicola Grande is called that as a sales tool. Kerrican where do you live? I am in Newman in the central valley. Kern

o

I planted an avocado from seed about 7 years ago and this year it is full of blooms. What's the chance of avocados this year?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here