Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Warm and nice is back?

I'm sick of El Nino. I need sun. Send sun asap.

Comments (31)

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

I just checked the 10 day forecast. Not looking good - more days of rain coming.

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

NO!!! Send more rain! LOVE El Nino. HATE water bill.

• wcgypsy
    14 years ago

I can understand how you feel...lol..I mean you guys seem to be getting a whole lot of rain up there, but this is the best winter we've had down here for a few years. I hear we may get more rain in a week. I'm ecstatic!

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    14 years ago

I like the sun also but if another chance of rain next week will keep my sprinkler system off then I'm happy.
    The long range summer forecast just given by abc7 said a hot summer for the west coast.

• wcgypsy
    14 years ago

Argggh! That just ruined my evening....any savings I've made on my water bill will be eaten up by a 'hot' summer. Summer is not my favorite time of year....

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

The cover crop in my orchard has gotten so tall it is falling down. By the time the ground dries enough to cultivate, I will have to mow and rake first. Al

• sffog
    14 years ago

my seedlings are still in pots in the greenhouse, the ground is too wet and cold, i tried to put some out a couple of weeks ago then it rained and got cold, they all rotted and died. i don't mind if it rains a little just to water the garden but the wind, the heavy rain (1-2inches)and cold, too much.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Last year this time my tomatos were in the ground and a foot tall. Today,still in cellpacks. Ay caramba!

• home_grower
    14 years ago

Oh no rain all next week! I'm screwed! forget about the garden, I have a class all week that is 60 miles each way past downtown LA to Anaheim. AAAHHHHHHGGG!

• californian
    14 years ago

So unfair, six out of the last seven predicted rainstorms bypassed my part of Orange County dropping only trace amounts, and northern and central California get more than they can use and are complaining about it. In the last month and a half we have gotten a total of only about an inch of rain, and this is supposed to still be the rainy season. At least part of February had good rainfall, and we have gotten a normal years worth of rain, which isn't much, after three back to back drought years. The city just sent a notice they are going to increase the cost of water due to the shortage, and mandatory rationing will begin this summer.

14 years ago

This afternoon the Men's Garden Club of Santa Rosa moves almost 2000 heritage tomato plants from the greenhouse to the Cottingtown Mall for tomorrows plant sale. We always hope we are past the last frost when the tomatoes go on sale. Mine will go in the garden Sunday. Al

Original Author
    14 years ago

The next four days we are only reaching our average-about 67+..Fine,nice temps,but then we plunge back to the 50's for more rain. 50's!!
    I hope the California weather doesnt kill off all my plants that like California weather.
    I bought Brandywine, Al. Makes a great BLT. Not a big giver tho-

• kristincarol
    14 years ago

Not warm up here (that being extreme north coast) at least. We have yet to reach our regular rainfall totals, but the season seems to be longer this year which is a big plus. Reservoirs (at least Shasta) are near full and the snow pack is a wee bit over normal. This is a good thing, but I am getting tired of splitting and hauling firewood.

My garlic are bigger around with more healthy looking foliage than I can recall. Our last frost date is 5/15 so still too early for most vegetable garden plants. We had snow here on 4/2 and my poor Bloodgood maple once again has scarred leaves. Usually it is the late spring hail that does the damage.

And I know of no one here who is complaining about the rain as we know how awful it is in drought years.

14 years ago

The new seed store in Petaluma, "Baker Creek" has lots of heritage tomato seeds I have never heard of. My wife says she does not want any tomatoes that are not smooth and round. Says she can not deal with "bumpy" tomatoes. Al

• deep___roots
    14 years ago

My, my, my, 70 and sunny in the Bay Area today. My little tomato starts are loving it after last weekend's rain. And if it rains the beginning of next week, then I don't need to water them. So, I dunno, complaining about the weather is pointless. My garden is looking...good in spite of or because of the weather. And I wish I was home today instead of at work so I could enjoy it. My buddy's wife works for the Dept. of Agriculture and sometimes I get confiscated bulbs, the identity of which is not known til they bloom. I planted one such bunch of bulbs in a line in my front yard. They are solid yellow tall dutch iris. Stunning. Got lucky there.

• roseypest
    14 years ago

Put in my tomatoes on April 3rd, thinking I had waited long enough. It's always so hard waiting when the weather is nice! But, of course freezing rain and wind since then had me thinking I'd lose my tomatoes for sure. But all 8 (almost all heirlooms) are fine and look like they are going to make it! Hopefully I've learned my lesson not to put them in too early next year!

Original Author
    14 years ago

The wife is a conventional thinker too-she hates when I complain about the weather, So,I use the internet-lol. Birds of a feather i hope are out there.
    I got to admit its getting nicer-and digging in soil that is just right in moisture content is a treat...all the worms and little bugs are doing their composting thing on falls leaves I had spread over the veggie plot. The birds are using the weed grasses I pulled as nesting material. Neat to watch them....their almost tame.

14 years ago

Sunny and warm sure brings out the tomato growers. We sold 1800 tomato plants in two days at the Cottingtown Mall. Money is used to support students taking Agriculture classes. Al

Original Author
    13 years ago

It was back today-81F rip roarin degrees..and I did it all,baseball,yard and crammed other honeydo's. Just too bad California is rollercoaster springs..

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

I don't understand how anybody could dislike this wonderful cool spring we're having! Perfect gardening weather. My calendulas, roses and tomatoes are loving it. I actually got out yesterday to weed a bed that had overgrown in crabgrass, and wasn't hot by the time I was done an hour later. I just pray that this will last through May.

• laurmela
    13 years ago

Just wish it would make up its mind! I was already to work at leveling off a planting area in the back. And it rained and now I have a mud pit! We are trying to redo the side yard, but it is 2 steps forward and 1 step back with the rain. Maybe the wind will help it dry up!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Girlbug, you and I are in the hot part of CA. We love the cool. I was so happy to hear the pitter-patter of tiny raindrops on my roof last night.
    We should keep in mind, though, what Mark Twain once said:
    "The coldest winter I ever spent was July in San Francisco."

And Lauraella, if my irises shrivel up because you called down the wind spirits on us, I'll come muddy your garden...

Renee

• laurmela
    13 years ago

Renee,

Sorry ") I am in Rancho Santa Margarita in south orange county and we always get the winds! It is a little breezy now and I am going to go and try and make a trench for the water to make it to the drain. Then I can add more dirt and level it off. On a good note did get the 2 raised beds that we built this weekend up and lined with weed cloth. Now to fill them with good dirt.

L

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Lauraella- How on earth does one build two raised beds in one weekend? Good for you.

I'd be ever so happy if you would post some pics when you are finished. Or even before.

Renee

Original Author
    13 years ago

More rain in the SF eastbay today-amazing it rained early,went clear for most of the day,-then rained again!
    yep,clear and sunny again as I write..
    And yes, the hills are velvet green. No complaints there.

• deep___roots
    13 years ago

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
    Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right
    -- G. Harrison (who was quite a gardener)

• laurmela
    13 years ago

Well I have an awesome DH! Actually we bought the supplies on Sunday and then started Sunday and finished on Monday. Tapped into existing sprinklers and added landscape fabric right before the rain. Now on the filling and planting hopefully this weekend.

Here are a few shots. Of the area after rotilling, with one and with 2 raised beds. We are going to add a lip on the top edge. Also one of my Hot Lips Salvia and our helper Maggie!

{{gwi:527213}}
    {{gwi:527215}}
    {{gwi:527219}}
    {{gwi:527221}}
    {{gwi:527223}}

Oh and here is a hummer just because!
    {{gwi:527225}}

Enjoy! Off to plan our work tomorrow!

Laura

• dicot
    13 years ago

Someone please shut off the wind machine, it's been 36 hours now and that's quite enough of that brisk sea breeze. I've got damaged branches everywhere and there goes all my topsoil moisture again, but until my eyes stop itching, the plants are on their own.

Do they keep records of windiest years ever? Because 2010 is making that list here.

• queerbychoice
    13 years ago

Dicot, yes! I was fully expecting all the annual wildflowers in my yard to die soon, but they were supposed to die of normal seasonal drought, not of being knocked flat by incessant rain and wind. So much for that idea - my favorite lupine is now horizontal, and nearly all my clarkias are at 45-degree angles. The garden looked so much better just a week ago.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Thanks for the photos, Lauraella. Love the pooch too.
    The beds look great with your gate and fences. It will be nice to see them planted out.

It's bizarre how the wind works. We have been spared here in Simi, which was apocryphally said to be Chumash for "Valley of the Winds." Go figure.

Renee

• Laurel Zito
    13 years ago

It's still bad weather here in SF. There is sun, but the wind is so strong, that going into the garden means facing a bracing wind, that makes your heart race. It feels really cold as well.