Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

Growing anything named Wacky?

bahia
13 years ago

Anyone growing this species in Europe? Another one of those surprisingly adaptable South African plants that loves stream side/marshy habitats at home, but does well in regular garden situations here in California, especially long blooming here in cooler, bay or ocean influenced locations that never get hot. In this Alameda bay side garden, it can bloom off and on at nearly any time of year. A dramatic foliage plant for sculptural effects and solid cheery yellow bloom, it can be 9 foot tall in flower. I also like growing the summer deciduous bulb species, Wachendorfia paniculata, which is an altogether different sort of plant. The cut roots of W. thyrsiflora have deep red juicy roots, and I think it is used to dye fabrics in South Africa. I am linking to a photo of the plant growing in my client's garden, as well as linking to the photo set of shots around this acre of gardens adjacent a bay side lagoon on the Gold Coast of Alameda.

Check out the other photo sets labeled Masem garden 2010 and Masem garden 2011 if you want to see more photos of plants in a nearly one acre bay/lagoon side garden. It may give you ideas for plants to consider for cool coastal situations in your part of California.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wachendorfia thyrsiflora