Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Deep, Dark Purple Agapanthus Cultivar Suggestions

I'm thinking I want to plant a row of dark, dark purple agapanthus underneath a screen (plant unknown, something with "cherry" in it, and I think distantly related to the prunus family as I get PLC on it). I need something at the foot of this screen, it looks a little ratty as I get a fair amount of leaf drop. So, I thought I would like to plant a row of dwarf agapanthus on both sides. We had a nice article this Saturday in the San Diego Tribune by Karen Dardick about agapanthus, and they had a lovely photo of the Agapanthus 'Graskop' cultivar, which she mentions is dwarf, but in checking it out online, it seems more like a standard sized cultivar? And, I think? it's deciduous (had no idea there were deciduous agapanthus). I would prefer a perennial, dwarf agapanthus that has that same gorgeous dark, dark purple flower. Any suggestions for dark, dark purple agapanthus cultivars or does anyone have any experience with 'Graskop'? It is just the prettiest color. I have the standard light purple agapanthus, of course, as well as the dwarf 'Tinkerbell' variegated variety, but I'm after that color. Any help much appreciated!

Patty S.

Comments (10)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

My mom got the Graskop last year and replaced her standard agapanthus under the dining room window with them. They are fully deciduous, which is kind of nice, because you don't have to get under them and clean them out, and all of the foliage looks new and beautiful each year. They are not dwarf like Peter Pan. They are just slightly smaller than her old ones, but they may grow bigger as they settle in. She likes them, and does not mind the bare earth in winter since she's not out there looking at that spot anyway when it's winter.
    Renee

• Bob_B
    12 years ago

I have "Storm Cloud" which is a deep, rich, gorgeous purple. However, it is not dwarf. It is not especially large either. It is deciduous in our cold winters, Sunset 14.

RB

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Renee, and Bob. I can get 'Storm Cloud' at Briggs Tree Farm. I'll have to check around for 'Graskop'. Thanks for the thumb's up on both. 'Storm Cloud' will be perennial I think, or maybe partially so. And Renee, it's actually not a bad idea where this is going for the leaves to die back. I can get in and do a snail/slug cleanup. I'm really having the March of the Snails this year, sigh.... I should own stock in Montery with as much Sluggo as I have had to lay down. It's so bad this year, I'm having to resort to Deadline around certain high-attraction plants.

Patty S.

• bahia
    12 years ago

I like Agapanthus 'Elaine' as a lower growing evergreen foliage form with deeper color, the best of both worlds in my mind. There are no true dwarf evergreen forms with the truly dark flowers of Storm Cloud or Mood Indigo that I'm aware of, but you should check the current offerings of Monterey Bay Nursery and San Marcos Growers to see photos of the possible choises.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Bahia. Evergeen Nursery also carries 'Elaine'. I was checking that one out, too. Size and color are more a concern than being deciduous for me. Lower growing is better. Dark, dark purple is better. I check out Luen's lineup. I can get anything he grows sent to either Andersen's or Armstrong's. So nice to have that link to get special stuff. I'll try to run down and check both cultivars out. Too early to see blooms, unfortunately, but at least I can check out shape.

Patty S.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Beautiful, hoovb. Thanks for the photo and the cultivar suggestion. I' going to have to decide which ones to go with. First is color, as deep and dark as possible. Next will be size, want them a bit more compact if possible. This bed is really narrow. I may also try to add some Verbena 'Babylon Blue', but I think Verbena will need too much water.

Patty S.

• bahia
    12 years ago

I've got some photos of Agapanthus Elaine in bloom on my Flickr site, which should come up on the first page of a Google image search. I do think it is the most dwarf foliaged cultivar with narrower compact evergreen foliage and deep purple blooms you're likely to find. I use this one exactly because it has narrower more compact foliage and the dark bloom color. About the size of Queen Anne cultivars for foliage and bloom stalk height.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Bahia. I will definitely look at those first over at Evergreen Nursery. They carry them. I'll have to see if they still have them in stock. Appreciate it, the color is great!

Patty S.

• Laurence McElrea
    8 years ago

For those looking for an Evergreen Dwarf Dark Purple Agapanthus. There is a new agapanthus called Purple Passion ( Patent Pending) that should be on the market in about 3 or 4 years. It is currently being multiplied in Fallbrook, Calif. and in China. Also a new Dark Blue Dwarf Deciduous agapanthus (Patent Pending) might possibly be on the market in 5 years. I know its a long wait, but they are coming.

Laurence