Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat58_gw

How to keep birds out of my yard without scaring away Hummers?

kat58
13 years ago

Is there any way to keep the Bluejays and Blackbirds out of my yard without scaring away my Hummers? These birds are loud and are dropping pecan and other nut shells all the place leaving a big mess! I do have a cat but I don't want her harming the hummingbirds. Even if I didn't have hummingbirds having a cat wouldn't help anyway because these blackbirds actually go after my cat! What can I do?

Comments (9)

• kat58
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No I don't have any nut trees, they are bringing the nuts over from someplace else. These birds like to hang out in my Rose of Sharon and Magnolia trees. I don't want to scare away my hummingbirds so if I put a fake owl out will they leave too?

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    13 years ago

I really don't know, but not sure an owl could catch a hummer so they might not be afraid.

There is bird netting for trees but not sure how effective it is.

• aquilachrysaetos
    13 years ago

Your messy visitors will perch on that plastic owl and poop on it. They know the difference between it and the real thing.

I would love to have the jays visit my yard regularly!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

On the other hand, the scrub jays love eating Tomato hornworms. Have not had damage for years.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I have never seen a scared hummingbird. Those guys will hover a foot from face and complain about my choice of flowers I grow. Al

• aquilachrysaetos
    13 years ago

I have watched a Hummer dive bombing a perched golden eagle. The majestic bird had a what-the-heck look about him. It was hilarious to watch.

• atreehugger
    13 years ago

Personally, I would love the birds. But to answer your question, I'm not sure that there is anything you could do. SO maybe just chill a little and enjoy all that nature has to offer, including the hummers that dont seem to be afraid of anything.

• HU-53324803
    2 years ago

you might try animal repellent granules at the base of the tree the scent is very offensive to them if necessary you could also attach maybe a bird feeder made for the ground and put some in there too further up the tree YOU have a RIGHT to feel about your yard and birds etc any way you choose its NOT ur ignorance thats highlighted when someone ELSES attempts to shame or guilt you the granules and spray are sold by walmart