Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betelnut

curry leaf plants

betelnut
18 years ago

Does anyone have any ideas about where to buy murraya koeneiggi plants or seeds? Thank you

Comments (47)

• pkayen
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here in San Diego, you can get it from Exotica nursery in Vista. Of late, I have also noticed some Indian grocery stores selling these plants.

• nkt38238
    18 years ago

I am in bay area, so I don't know about local places S. Ca. However, during summer, many Indian stores sell these plants in LA area (Artesia - Pioneer Street.)

Have a look at the brief article I wrote on curry plant at:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/asianveg/msg111932298634.html

It also talks about online nursery selling curry leaf plant.

I purchased mine about 3 years ago. It's about 3' tall now. I am going to put it in ground this summer. It already has sucker sprouted (about 5-6" tall in an year).

HTH.

• malibu_rose
    18 years ago

I got mine from St. Gabriel Nursery at 632 S. San Gabriel Bl., San Gabriel, CA 91776. Ph. # 626 286 0787.

• curryleaf
    17 years ago

Kartuz Greenhouses in Vista,CA shipped my plants to San Jose and they are in great condition.
    www.kartuz.com

• prashanth
    16 years ago

I bought a 2.5 feet tall curry leaf plant in Half Moon Bay Nursery in Half Moon Bay, CA. The owner said that he keeps a few plants because of demand. It cost me $55 including tax. But the plant is mature. If you are in the San Francisco Bay area you can drive there and avoid the shipping cost.

11691 San Mateo Rd
    Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
    (650) 726-5392

• popper1
    16 years ago

If you want seeds, drop me an email.

David
    pmbirds1@yahoo.com

• shaanp
    13 years ago

I have few curry leaf plants for sale. If you are in Southern California area, please email me.

• lesliegunaratne_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

Healthy curry leaf plants for sale
    6 to 8 inch plants $13.99 each.
    postage $4.95 per package by priority mail.
    call 281-257-0891 ask for leslie

• Meena_meenakshi86_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hi Shaanp,

I'm in OC area and looking for curry leaf plant. Please let me know how to contact you.

• shaanp
    10 years ago

I have lots of curry leaf plants. If you live in Southern California, email me at: johnpetersusa@yahoo.com

This post was edited by shaanp on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 12:01

• shaanp
    10 years ago

New curry leaf plants that I am growing from seeds.

• bunti
    10 years ago

Shaanp,

You are awesome. I haven't seen curry leaf growing from seeds. I am getting excited after seeing your seedlings.

• currilicious
    9 years ago

Long time lurker, first time commenting.

First of all, thanks for all the great advice I've read here and around the web. I have several curry leaf trees purchased last year and this year.

Secondly, If you are located in Silicon Valley, near San Francisco, I want to let you know that India Fresh at the corner of Hollenbeck and El Camino Real in Sunnyvale sells 6" curry leaf plants for $11 each this year in the springtime. (they were $15 last year) All are healthy and growing nicely. The price is terrific!!

The first set I acquired are clearly Gamthi variety (thick leaves, red petioles). The second set appears to be dwarf - green petioles. Here's the decoder ring I've gleaned from online:

Red petiole , thick leaves - Gamthi
    Red petiole, thin leaves - Standard
    Green petiole, thin leaves - Dwarf

I also picked up a 24" tree for $25 at India Fresh. It appears to be the dwarf variety. It's lovely.

Last year I picked up 4 curry leaf trees from Logee's online For $13 + shipping. They were tiny and fragile. They are also green petiole, so I presume they are the dwarf variety. This year they're much better - they grew to 18" in about a year.

I don't think India Fresh knows anything about what they get other than that they are curry leaf trees. they had no concept of red vs. green petiole. So I consider myself lucky to have picked up a number of both gamthi and dwarf curry leaf trees there.

I also ordered some seeds online from Hawaii Tropicals. About 35/63 seeds have germinated so far over the last month. When they get bigger I plan to give them as gifts to my many Indian coworkers. No idea yet what kind they will be since the petioles don't change until they get bigger.

Care: I use Osmocote shake fertilizer, plus a mild dose of liquid citrus tree fertilizer every two weeks. I also give them a little bit of chelated iron monthly and a little gypsum monthly, but staggered - never at the same time. On occasion I also give a little fish fertilizer. I once over-fertilized and the leaf edges turned black, so I backed down the concentration a bit. Every week they get a little something, always in mild concentrations.

I have lost two plants to heat stroke. I remedied this by wrapping the black pots in aluminum foil. Two plants, likely weakened by heat stroke, were attacked by scale insects. I spent two days picking them off. I then sprayed them to get rid of the crawling vector. I scan them regularly for scale and mealy bugs, which like to wrap themselves up in cotton and seal themselves into the leaves. I pick out the worms and squish them.

One of the lost heat stroke plants that died nevertheless sent up 8 suckers, so it has a new life. Don't throw away a dead plant immediately. Bring it inside, give it a little shot of root stim, and wait 6 weeks. Keep it moist but not sopping wet. Give the roots a chance to recover.

So far since I've adjusted for heat stroke and sprayed regularly (every two weeks) for scale, things are much better.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

currilicious, can you share a link to the nursery in Hawaii where you purchased your seed? When I google "Hawaii Tropicals" I get several links, none of which seem to lead to curry leaf plant seeds ...

• Meenal
    9 years ago

@currilicious, @zensojourner I commend you for taking this much effort to grow this plant. And thanks for posting your experience too. I have been growing and take care of Curry Leaf plant for several years now. I was given a gift by someone and did not know much about fertilizing till I researched it online. It took me so much time to get this plant growing that I used to lose sleep over it. I made sure I didn't water it too much. Then it doesn't like the pot so much and halts its growth when in pot. It is nevertheless slow growing plant. Since I live in apt, my plant got stolen thrice. Eveytime it grew someone stole it. That time it was not in pot, but in ground and still someone had the audacity to pull a fully grown plant which was 2 feet tall with growings around. I got upset and could not believe and left that place of the plant as it is. Then after couple of months there was little suckers started growing in that place where it was pulled. I plant 8 of them in separate pots of which 1 survived. I put that one in sun and it started growing. After it became tall it got stolen. There was another sucker I found in the mud which was growing. I planted that in pot and used fish fertilizer, anti-bac soapy diluted water and rice water. It started growing rapidly. It was getting too much sun so I kept it inside whenever I could. Then there was scale. I had to remove scale with soapy water every month. But the plant was growing rapidly. Then it became droopy when transferred to bigger pot. I thought it would be better to put it in ground so I did. Then I started putting miracle grow and it was not droopy anymore. It started growing rapidly in ground and was almost 2.5 feet tall. But yesterday, after 6 years, and spending time and money someone stole the last surviving healthy plant once again.

• shaanp
    9 years ago

If you live in Southern California, interested in Curry Leaf Plants
    Email me at johnpetersusa@yahoo.com

• Shalza Prasad
    8 years ago

hi does anyone has curry plant seeds,i would love to purchase it thanks.please email me on singhp_1984@hotmail.com.

• curryleaf
    8 years ago

I have a few plants we started last summer. Please send email if you are in the South Bay/Blossom Hill area.

• curryleaf
    8 years ago

P.S. My plant doesn't have seeds yet but probably will in another two months. It looks like we will get a lot this summer.

• Vee Gee
    8 years ago

Hi curryleaf - I would love a plant if you have extra. I can be reached at "v (underscore) qwest (at) yahoo (dot) com"

Thanks!

• fursate_kasid
    8 years ago

curryleaf(SanJose) can you spare me 1/2 curry leaf seeds please, thanks

• curryleaf
    8 years ago

The seeds are not mature yet. It could be several more months before they are ready.

• bdeshmukhe
    8 years ago

Does any one have curry leaves samplings in Connecticut?

• frank wal
    8 years ago

I bought a 2 foot curry leaf tree in San Diego for $ 95. I bought it in Mira Mesa. It is doing good. It is four foot tall in one year with a healty green growth. I can dig up the address from where I bought it.

• popper1
    8 years ago

wow, they are expensive in san diego!

• dgsoninet
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello,

I am in SFO Bay Area, and I'm looking for Indian Curry Plant (Murraya koenigii) seeds.

I am open to any variety, but prefer to try the "Gamthi" variety as it is supposedly the most fragrant.

Alternatively, If any one can spare a few saplings (especially if the variety is known, but even otherwise), I am open to those as well.

I will also take any cuttings and put in the effort for rooting them to propagate a few.

I can be reached at dgsoninet at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Desh

• bunti
    7 years ago
    It's just misleading everyone that there are only 3 varieties of curry leaves and Gamati is the best. There are somany varieties. Last time when I went to india I was talking with the nursery people they showed me few different varieties, I can't differentiate them.
    Gamati is bhatias misleading concept.
  • Abinaya Jambunathan
    7 years ago

Hi I am from San Diego and would like to buy curry plants right away. Please share pricing and shipping details. Thank you

abinaya dot jambunathan at the rate of gmail.com

• Sindhuja Pandi
    6 years ago

Where can i get curry plant or seed in raleigh? TIA

• sue_intel_b
    5 years ago

where is it available in the bay Area in California?
    Haven't seen them at the Indian stores recently..

• Priya Atluri
    4 years ago

@currilicious, can u share gamthi cuttings

• Pyewacket
    4 years ago

My plants are 4 or 5 years old by now but haven't grown a lot in the last 2 years as I can no longer put them out until quite late in the season - it just gets too cold too often overnight up in the mountains where I am now. They need artificial light which I haven't been able to provide. But they are still growing. I have blossoms again this year but lost them to a cold snap when I put them out "too early" (for this area) last year. This year I'm keeping them until at least mid-June. Maybe I'll get fruit and seeds this year at last!

I hit them up with some iron last year which improved their overall condition. These plants don't need a lot of light but they need more than they've been getting since I moved. We'll see if the fruit sets seed. I have no idea how these are normally pollinated.

• curryleaf
    4 years ago

They don't like to be re-potted but it sounds like your plant is need of new soil. Do it carefully before the weather gets too hot. I put mine in a larger pot every several years as it need to be moved to shelter to winter over so it can't be in the ground.

• Pyewacket
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Nope, they're good in the pots they are in. It's lack of light. I figure they'll need to be repotted next year - some of them, anyway. Probably about 25% of them.

They do have a higher-than-usual need for iron so you do need to remember to supplement with an chelated iron product every couple of years. They also absorb fertilizer through the leaves poorly - I started out trying to spray with a citrus fertilizer as many people do for other citrus, but it was totally ineffectual. Returned to a fertilizer drench once a year and they're good again, as long as I remember to add iron to it (which my other plants don't need so much).

• HighColdDesert
    4 years ago

What size pots do you have them in? And how big do they get in pots? I'm concerned about having to haul them in and out every winter.

• Acqua Anu
    3 years ago

Is anyone still selling Fully Grown Curry Leaf Plant? If yes, please share the details.

• Abinaya Jambunathan
    3 years ago

Hi i have a 2 year old curry plant in a 30 gallon container. I am moving and looking for a new home who could take care of it well! Let me know..

• drinkmorewater
    3 years ago

I would love to give the plant a good home! Are you in the Bay area?

• Acqua Anu
    3 years ago

Thank you. Please provide me your contact numbers so that I will reach out.

• Acqua Anu
    3 years ago

@Abinaya Jambunathan, please send me your contact to my email rohith8608@gmail.com

• Abinaya Jambunathan
    3 years ago

Hi i live in San diego!!

• rajvirgrewal35
    3 years ago

Hello Abinaya, did you find a home for the plant . I have been searching for this plant for long

• Abinaya Jambunathan
    3 years ago

hi yes someone from bay area wants to pick up.. i can let u know if he doesnt turn up. I will be holding the plant until i leave

• Sai Manohar
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Abhinaya, do you still have the plant? I am in San Diego and would like it if its still there.

• Curry Leaf
    2 years ago

I have a few curry leaf plants for sale. Plants are a year old, 5-7 inches in height. These saplings were grown from the seeds of a large curry leaf plant in our backyard, without any pesticide or fertilizer. Email curryleafplantsbay@gmail.com if you are interested. Local pickup only from South Bay.